PDA

View Full Version : feather duster in hermit shell

a7xbno
11/23/2004, 12:26 AM
i was wondering if there was any way to remove a feather duster that hitchiked in a hermit crab shell. would the feather duster grow and somehow get out? or should i take him out and place him in the rocks? if thats possible..thanks

iCam
11/23/2004, 12:30 AM
Hey, and:

[welcome]

Is the shell empty? I would just leave it. Trying to remove it might cause it to tear. How large is it?

a7xbno
11/23/2004, 04:18 AM
no theres a scarlet hermit still in it dragging the shell around..it cant be more than 1 or 2mm..would it ever be able to grow and if so would it grow out of the shell?

VoidRaven
11/23/2004, 07:18 AM
I've had two feather dusters move into empty shells, but never had one occupy a shell with a crab in it. Interesting. Don't try to remove it as you may damage the worm. Just leave it and see what happens. The Scarlet may jump shells.

Besides, it probably looks kind of neat...like my Astrea snail that has small brown star polyps on its shell.

Omidon4
11/23/2004, 08:11 AM
I would leave it... I've heard that once a feather duster leaves it's place it will basically die. I had experience with a feather duster that I bought... didn't realize what was going on when she stuck it in the bag (or I wouldn't have bought it). When I realized what happened I tried to make a prostethic (sp*) tube for it out of clear hosing of a similar diameter and filled it with sand just enough to where it could push itself out and bring itself back in... but it still died :( :( :( :( (BTW they had no guarantee on saltwater inverts or I would have taken it back that day)

Point is leave em there... most likely the crap will jump ship and then he'll have his own shell. :)