PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Question

IchHater
11/23/2004, 12:02 AM
Semi new to fishkeeping. Just wondering what can i expect from my live rock? I dont know what kind it is but i read that several months from now i should have some different inverts and other animals on it. Also my tank is a 42 hex( i know bad choice for a tank ) i have 13 libs LR, basic wet/dry with polypad in sump, uv sterilizer, 3 in. of sand. water quality has been perfect since completion of cycle and i have the damsel (cycle fish) and regal tang, another bad choice. i was planing to put in a Coral Beauty, Marroon Clown, and a Longnosed Hawkfish. Any opinions or suggestions? Sorry for the long post.

bertoni
11/23/2004, 12:10 AM
Maroon clowns get pretty big for that many fish in a 42g. I'd drop that one. A smaller clown would work.

The Coral Beauty might eat corals, depending on your luck, if you ever plan to get any.

I'd get the damsel out, myself, along with the tang.

Some people have problems with wet-dry filters and rising nitrate levels. If you want to keep stony corals, that might become an issue.

This book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087386/reeflink/002-1511964-6717659) has been a big help to me in creating stocking plans.

DaveC
11/23/2004, 06:22 AM
I would also get rid of the damsel.....as far as your live rock, well depends on how it was handled and cured with only 13lbs you may not see to much, but you can alway seed it with kits sold at a few online stores...... the angel is hit or miss in a reef tank with corals..so depends on the type of tank, great for FO tanks..the long nose hawk fish is one of my favorites, but have never been able to keep them long as they are great for jumping out of the tank, Regal tang is not a good choice for your size tank, but you know that already.......get a few chromis,they are active fish, maybe a goby, some basslets....

DaveC

ab5ebdxer
11/23/2004, 06:32 AM
I would expect fan worms, sponges and maybe some small clams to grow on the LR.