PDA

View Full Version : moving into a bigger tank

Jason4785
11/22/2004, 10:28 PM
Im looking to move into a bigger tank and i was wondering how to start...I was thinking of getting live sand so can i get the live sand and fill about a quarter of the way with new water and then wait for it to cycle and then place my exsisting live rock, water, and fish into the tank after the cycle is complete? I want to make this move as easy on possible on my fish. Also can I mix the live sand with other substrate? and if so what would you recommend? How much live sand should I get with a 40 gallon tank?

kznsky14
11/22/2004, 11:29 PM
Wow, how odd. I have a similar question.

I have a ten gallon that has been up and running for 6 months I now want to move it to a 30 gallon. Can I just set up the thirty gallon, minus 10 gallons of water and substrate, and then "dump" my ten gallon tank into it? or do I have to cycle the 30 gallon first?

argo
11/22/2004, 11:46 PM
Jason4785, there were a few very good posts about tank upgrades / moves - do a search on it and you'll find the info you need. Just to reiterate - if you're planning on a DSB then go with about 4"-5" of Southdown sand and then add a bag of Live sand on top of it. You can also add a cup or two of your existing sand (if it's in good shape - no excessive nitrates or phosphates) from the top layer (about 1/2" from the surface).

It takes a while for dead sand to become "live" (read: functional) - so go slow with transferring your fish to a new tank. Also, many suggested using water from an old tank (if the tests come out OK) - less stress for your inverts and fish.

bertoni
11/23/2004, 12:00 AM
If the tank was under a year old, I'd save all the top 2" of sand from it to use as the top of your new sand bed, if possible. I'd probably spring for 5-10 lbs of live sand for the new tank, if financially acceptable.:) Expensive stuff, isn't it.

I would run the tank for a bit with just the new sand and new live rock, if possible, to make sure there's no ammonia spike with it.

Larry Waughon
11/23/2004, 01:40 AM
When you update to a larger tank you usally need more rock. I would start by adding amount of aragamax you want 4" for dsb.Than add new rock and a cup or so of your live sand, wait for new rock to cycle. You should than be ready to add the rest of your existing tank over. I would throw out existing sand bed.