PDA

View Full Version : tank suggestions for a fish newbie?

hubes1
11/22/2004, 08:53 PM
Hey folks,

I've been browsing through some of these threads and other sites online. Haven't done fish before, but I think I'm going to try dive straight into a SW tank. My current plan is for a ~30 gallon FOWLR tank and then upgrading to something larger if/when I get hooked.

I was just planning on getting a lot of the starter material (live sand, LR, bottom feeders, etc) from somewhere like TBS.

But in the meantime, I'm trying to sort through the equipment I'll need to start, especially for the tank.

Is there any suggestions on:
- glass vs acrylic tank
- place to get a tank
- getting all the equipment from one place in a package or picking/choosing from various places

I'm anxiously waiting for my "New Marine Aquarium" book to arrive, but if you have any other thoughts/tips (e.g whether it's suicide to jump straight into SW), I would be happy to hear them!

Thanks!!!

DaddyJax
11/22/2004, 08:57 PM
Read book first!!!

Detritivore
11/22/2004, 09:08 PM
glass is cheaper but less "clear" (has a greenish tint), acrylic scratches very easily and is expensive...i strongly suggest that you get at least a 55 gal., the reason is because bigger tanks are more stable and gives you more room for mistakes(i had to learn that the hard way) and MAKE SURE you read the book FIRST and undestand everything...one more thing BE PATIENT(i also had to learn that the hard way)

Mr.Lloyd
11/22/2004, 10:43 PM
Read and read some more.Find a good local fish store and look,look,look before you buy.On a first tank it is worth it to have someone good help you buy the right equipment.You will pay more but will get the local help you need.If you have the room for a 55 you should have the room for a 120.

danho
11/22/2004, 11:01 PM
If you can afford it I would go bigger than a 30, go at least 90 gallons. That way you have enough room for MOST anything you see that you may want to buy. Also, I see your from the Bay area. There are alot of folks on RC that are from your neck of the woods and you might be able to get a good deal on a used complete setup. Check the selling forum and browse around, or post a want ad. You might be surprised.