PDA

View Full Version : Plumping help for sump

Kratos
11/22/2004, 08:34 PM
I was thinking of putting a 15g sump/fuge on my 33g and was wondering how big in diameter should the drain pipe be? A pump in the main tank will feed water to the sump/fuge. The water will return to the main tank by gravity via this pipe. The height difference of the two tanks will only be 2-3�.The pump will be 126g/h. Will a 1� pipe be enough for a return so I don’t overflow the 15g?

der_wille_zur_macht
11/22/2004, 08:36 PM
Any particular reason why you're using that configuration? It's gonna be basically impossible to get the drain back to the main tank to be bubble-free - that's essentially why most people use gravity to the sump and a pump to the display tank.

Check the drain/overflow size calculator on the RD homepage for suggestions. A 1" pipe should flow 650 gph or so, max.

Kratos
11/22/2004, 08:45 PM
This way I don't need to be 'bubble free' as the sump will be above the main tank. So, pump in gravity out.

Edit: I see now what you mean by 'bubble free'. Only being 2-3" higher there shouldn't be a rough return and few if any air coming in to the main tank (I think). The calculator is for an overflow drain pipe and a under tank sump so I wasn't sure if it would be right.

Larry Waughon
11/23/2004, 02:00 AM
You should be fine with that set up.

swims withthe fishes
11/23/2004, 07:06 AM
i think what der wille is saying is that the bubbles will be in your display tank instead of in your sump. the drain pipe will always pull air with it, and will feed into your display tank.