PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock???

GhostTalon
11/22/2004, 07:57 PM
Can live rock be added after a tank has already been set up or is it a MUST that it be put into place initially?

Farm_her78
11/22/2004, 08:33 PM
No you can add live rock later but you will need to cure it depending on how much you have you can cure it in a big rubbermaid container. Lot of people use a new trash can.
It takes 2-3 weeks to cure depending on how many water changes you do a week.
You need to get your ammonia to zero before you can add it to your display tank.

GhostTalon
11/22/2004, 09:05 PM
How do you cure it exactly?

Detritivore
11/22/2004, 09:15 PM
if you get "cured" liverock you dont need to cure it (my liverock was suppused to be cured but really wasnt...be careful)
i heard that some people (and correct me if im wrong) scrub away all the dead spots and put the rock in some container with saltwater...then they wait...you could put a skimmer on it if you want \

bertoni
11/22/2004, 09:18 PM
To cure the rock, you need to let it "cycle" in a tank of its own. So you need a container, a heater, some circulation, and saltwater. Water changes are a good idea, and a protein skimmer could help a lot. Match the SG and temperature, etc, of the container to your main tank for the best results.

Larry Waughon
11/23/2004, 01:54 AM
GhostTalon, I would follow bertoni's advice if you were adding any live rock to your existing tank. This includes stuff your LFS says is cured.