PDA

View Full Version : Crushed Coral Questions...and bloom

jayel
11/22/2004, 07:45 PM
I have been wondering about my substrate lately because of a current algae bloom. My system has been up and running for 4 months and params are close,if not completly inline. (00 trite,trate; >.01trace ammonia; calc ~420, ph 8.1-8.3;temp 79.5-82). I have been dosing with B-ionic 2 part system and have seen some improvment in the conditions of the tank including the beginnings of some coraline algae, but i also have noticed some cyano!!!! I have been researching this bacteria and i am trying to cure it with less feedings (1 small maroon clown, and maybe a redline goby if he is still alive...cant find him), more circulation, less photo period, and turkey basting and syphoning most of the cyano out. I know that this bloom is a phase but what do i do next? When i change my water do i PYthon the CC as well? Dont i want some of the inhabitants of my substrate?

The facts
35g hex, 96wpc with lunar, 2" CC susbstrate, 25 #LR,
Rena XP2 canister(nothing but 1 foam and weekly carbon)
1 aquaclear powerhead

1 hammer cloral
2 small polyp frags
2 shrooms
1 small bunch of macro (unsure of the type)

1 maroon clown
1emerald crab
1 arrow crab
1 urchin
10 turbo snails
just added 2 blue chromis today

I must be addicted to this hobby if i am almost stressing out about this

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/71257hammer2.JPG

bertoni
11/22/2004, 09:39 PM
Siphoning the CC is probably a good idea. Cyano can be beaten by a number of techniques. This article (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm) talks about nitrate problems, but the ideas are all good to try for cyano, too. If siphoning the CC doesn't help, you could start there.

ufans
11/23/2004, 10:41 AM
Cyano is a problem for almost every new tank (< 1 year old). Keep siphoning and try to maximize your skimming and carbon. Once your tank gets settled and your sand turns live then the problems should be less prevelant.

If the cyano is not on your coral or live rock then I would just be patient and keep aggressively treating it through skimming and carbon. ChemiPure has shown good results as a carbon alternative. ChemiClean is a last resort... that is if the cyano is invading the corals.