PDA

View Full Version : AquaC Remora Urchin Pro Noise

B52 Bomber
11/22/2004, 07:00 PM
I just got this skimmer and installed it. I noticed it's a bit noisey, does this subside as it get's broken in?

bertoni
11/22/2004, 09:34 PM
Maybe, but I doubt it. None of my powerheads, etc., have gotten quieter after break-in.

mid-western
11/23/2004, 12:36 AM
Mine makes very little noise and dose a super job. Is a vibration noise or what?

mid-western
11/23/2004, 02:44 AM
Mine makes very little noise and dose a super job. Is a vibration noise or what?

VoidRaven
11/23/2004, 07:10 AM
I'm curious as well. I have been considering looking into one, but have seen way too many threads complaining about noise and problems with setup that is really turning me off of them. Is the noise coming from the "mixing point" where the air is introduced? If it's anything like the noise a venturi driven skimmer makes (like SeaClone) then it's really not that big of a deal...unless, of course, you are going for a "silent" tank.

Mr_Quality
11/23/2004, 07:16 AM
I ran one for years. It made a bit of injector noise, lowder than a pinwheel skimmer but much quieter than a Becket (everything is quieter than a Becket). It also made some noise because it hung in a sump and the water drop was a good 5" and that water fall made a bit of noise. I installed a extended lip on the outflow and that quieted it down nicely. Also, if it is touching your tank in a funny way the pump or unit itself could be vibrating.

Cearbhaill
11/23/2004, 07:38 AM
I have a Remora 6 inches from my head while I sleep, and a Remora Pro across the room in another tank.
I don't find them to be noisy.

Lots of people pay for white noise machines!

luceneck
11/23/2004, 08:52 AM
b52 bomber,

There is a thread here somwhere that I used to lessen the injector noise. Mine was loud as well, it sounds like a faucet shooting water at a wall or the bottom of a sink. What I did was cut a piece of styrofoam the size of that little compartment on the left where the injector shoots the water. I used some duct-tape to make it water proof and it really cut down on the noise. I use the hang on the back version, but I am sure it is the same inside. If you need more details just PM me.

Luciano

ReefWizard
11/23/2004, 09:05 AM
I just got one about a three weeks back. It made a lot of noise at first, but within 2 days quited down. I also did what Luciano suggested, and put some filter material around the injector to help baffle the noise. Now it is pretty quiet. I have the mag3 version of the Remora Pro. It has been great, pulling out a lot of crap from the LR I have in the tank. Looks like the color of coffee with some cream.

Also, the lower the filtration cup, the quieter it is, but that should take second place to the filtration efficiency and "dry foam" goal of the skimmer.

crystalnurse
11/23/2004, 09:20 AM
I have the AquaC Remora, no real noise issues. It has been up about a week, also bubbles are a lot less after 2 days.

B52 Bomber
11/23/2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by mid-western

It's the injector, I mean it's not crazy loud, but noticeable. So I will try to muffle it as suggested.