PDA

View Full Version : Starfish Leg still alive ?!?!?!?

browndog
11/22/2004, 06:01 PM
Accidentally broke off a leg from my brittle star on Saturday. Been over 48 hours and the leg is still alive!

Will this leg turn into a whole new starfish? Takes food, no idea if it is able to ingest it (where?)

Very bizzare.

albinooscar
11/22/2004, 06:04 PM
I don't know if they grow into new star fish or not but I do know that they live for a long time without their body. I cut some legs off of mine and stuck it into the fuge and the legs I put in the display tank for my Harliquin shrimp. I did this about 4 months ago and since then the shrimp died but the starfish legs are still alive and I see them on the glass every once in awhile.

Good luck with yours.
Ron

albinooscar
11/22/2004, 11:02 PM
Look what I found in my reef tank a few hours after my last post!
Never the dead Frog Spawn.

PROOF THAT THE LEGS DO LIVE AND REGROW THE REST OF THE LEGS BACK!!!!! I only cut half of the leg off for my Harliquin shrimp.
http://reefparagon.com/images/136-3668_IMG.JPG

cwbroden
11/22/2004, 11:16 PM
Interesting.

romunov
11/22/2004, 11:57 PM
Albinooscar, what starfish is that?

BeesGoneWild
11/23/2004, 12:56 AM
I think the legs can regrow back if they have a part of the center disk, im guessing as long as it has some digestive capability it could live. As far as other legs growing back its possible but they will probably just be nubs and not full legs( i would imagine though this would take a long time). Just my 2cents but i think im correct on this one :)

albinooscar
11/23/2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by romunov
Albinooscar, what starfish is that?
It's a Linckia.

Originally posted by BeesGoneWild
I think the legs can regrow back if they have a part of the center disk, im guessing as long as it has some digestive capability it could live. As far as other legs growing back its possible but they will probably just be nubs and not full legs( i would imagine though this would take a long time). Just my 2cents but i think im correct on this one :)
This leg did not have any of the center disk on it. I only cut half of the leg off leaving the other half of the leg on the starfish. It took about 5 months to get what you see in the picture.

Ron

jgln
11/23/2004, 01:12 PM
I cut some legs off of mine and stuck it into the fuge and the legs I put in the display tank for my Harliquin shrimp. I did this about 4 months ago and since then the shrimp died but the starfish legs are still alive and I see them on the glass every once in awhile.

AREN"T YOU AFRAID THEY WILL REASSEMBLE THEMSELVES AND COME AND GET YOU IN YOUR SLEEP?

albinooscar
11/23/2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by jgln
AREN"T YOU AFRAID THEY WILL REASSEMBLE THEMSELVES AND COME AND GET YOU IN YOUR SLEEP?

LOL:rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

rascoe
11/23/2004, 04:42 PM
That's awesome.
I've seen people ask that question before, and the experts all laugh and say it's just a myth.

I just wish I could just keep an <b>intact </b>Linkia alive in my tank!

Brain Finger
11/23/2004, 05:55 PM
they usually need part of the center disk. if you didnt have that, you got real lucky!