PDA

View Full Version : Cycling with a sump

Cajun
11/22/2004, 02:59 PM
I am currently cycling a 75 gallon FOWLR tank using shrimp...the live rock in the tank was given to me after being kept in a pile outside a friends house for a couple of years, so needless to say, there is no corraline growth or anything else on the rock for that matter. Its like base rock for now. My sump uses a large, felt type filter sock for mechanical filtration.
I will purchase a limited amount of corraline covered live rock to seed the old rock with new corraline growth. Will I have to remove my filter sock in my sump so it won't trap the corralie spores? Will this felt filter impede the cycling process, and will it prevent my old rock from being seeded by new corraline?
Thanx for your input......
Cajun

thrlride
11/22/2004, 03:33 PM
The only negative effect that filter will have is trap ditrius and get dirty. It could also stop your pods as they will get trapped on the filter. Otherwise it will be fine.

ReefRian
11/24/2004, 12:37 PM
I think having the sock on there is a good idea while you are curing. Just be sure to clean it off every day or two and you will probably have to rescue some pods too. As far as coralline is concerned, I don't think it will impede the growth onto other rocks. I have a friend that has a large tank that she just set up and has a sock on her filter and she has had an explosion of coralline all over her tank, so I think you will be safe to leave it there. It will sure make your tank water cleaner.

Rian