PDA

View Full Version : Dog Faced Puffer (Saltwater setups in general)

Acecobra180
11/22/2004, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been keeping freshwater fish on and off for about 15 years. I have recently purchased a 180gallon tank for my Oscars and such. This leaves me with a couple of empty tanks, a 30g and a 55g.

On a recent visit to my LFS I came across a dog faced puffer, I had never seen one before and instantly fell in love. I will admit straight off that I dont have a great knowledge of saltwater fishkeeping. I am however willing and eager to learn. I dont want to go and ask my LFS as they are in this business to make money and would probably sell me a whole bunch of stuff I dont need.

So I am basically asking if any of you guys can give me any guidance on what I will need to succesfully keep this fish.

Is the empty 55g big enough in your opinions?
What type of filtration system would be needed?
What type of lighting?
Is there anything else that could share the tank with it, ie. more fish, corals or inverts?

If it is not a good starter fish then I would be willing to start at the beginning and work my way up to it.

Thanks in advance.

Farm_her78
11/22/2004, 10:59 AM
100 gal min.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=222

Acecobra180
11/22/2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the link, my LFS said a 55g would be fine. So I guess it proves that they will tell you anything to get a sale.

I guess I will have to forget about the DFP for the moment, I simply dont have the room for another large tank.

The more I have been looking through pics of tanks in the forums the more I am thinking that this might be a blessing in disguise. Those tanks with the little clown fish and corals are stunning.

Could I use the 55g for some sort of fish and coral setup? If so again what would be the best setup options?

Could you suggest some fish that would get on and live happily in that type of environment?

febeast
11/22/2004, 11:11 AM
You will need a larger tank. Many things should be considered before purchasing.
You cannot turn the tank into a reef as the puffer will eat some soft corals and inverts like shrimp, so just regular flourescents are good enough.
They are messy eaters so you will need more filtration than just rocks, like a wet/dry or canister.
They are great tank mates with other fish, but be careful that a fish is not too agressive towards it, like a trigger. Sometimes this is hit and miss so just go slow and research. I have one with a naso tang, powder blue tang, lion, and a snowflake eel. All get along great. At one time I had a niger trigger and it got too aggressive so I had to trade it in.
Hope this helps.

Farm_her78
11/22/2004, 11:13 AM
This is a bad obsession. Its a very addicting habit and everything takes time and patience because alot of people are actually building a reef. But yes your 55 gal would be great for a beginners tank. This site is great and very informational with starting a saltwater tank.

The key is too read read read...

I would of never of made my tank work becaue I live in NE and its really hard to get the supplies for this hobby... But I studied alot on here. Slowly but surely its coming along.

There is great books also to start saltwater tanks.
Saltwater tanks for dummies is great.

Acecobra180
11/22/2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks Guys,

Like I said, I dont have the room for another large tank so I will be hoping to do something with the 55g. I will go to Amazon right now and order that book you mentioned.

Also, I have plenty of time and patience. I am not thinking of setting up the new tank until after xmas. So hopefully I will have all the info by then.

Maybe then I will be able to come back with more specific questions.

Farm_her78
11/22/2004, 11:28 AM
Setup will include some studying:

When you start saltwater tanks, you need to cycle your tank with some people use a fish (damsel), - (recommended) is a piece of shrimp.
If you are getting live rock you can cycle your tank with that. (Best Solution) 4-6 weeks depending on your amonia, nitrates, nitrites.
Start picking out a cleanup crew.

Then depending on water parimeters if all is testing ok you can start picking your fish, etc. Study up on which fish are compatible with each other.

Hope some of this will help you decide if you want to start one.
Study Study....

Acecobra180
11/22/2004, 12:52 PM
Thats a great help, thanks a lot. :)

I have read Tropical Aquarium Fish by John Dawes. It claims to be a step-by-step guide to setting up and maintaining a freshwater or marine aquarium. I wasn't to impressed and don't think there was enough detail in this book.

Another book I read recently is Marine Fishes by Dick Mills. This book was far more helpful in the understanding of a Marine environment.

So the book you advised me to get should be delivered by the end of the week. I will have a good read then come back and tell you all my setup plans. Then you can all shoot them down in flames LOL. :D

Farm_her78
11/22/2004, 01:15 PM
No Prob.! keep me posted.

Acecobra180
11/22/2004, 03:43 PM
I will do, thanks again.