PDA

View Full Version : Closed GSP's

damselindistress
11/22/2004, 09:41 AM
For 2+ days now a rather extensive growth of GSP has been closed. Other growth areas on different rocks are doing fine and are lush. How do I know if this is dead and what should I do if it is? Tank parameters have been consistant (0, 0, <5), ph 8.0, temp steady at 78.5 to 79. SG is 1.024. Do a 10% water change weekly with ro/di water. Fish appear fine and eating well.

75 gallon tank
Inhabitants:
5 chromis damsels
2 percula clowns
hermits, snails
large feather duster
colt leather
pulsing xenia
zoanthids

I'm worried - really am very fond of this mass of gsp. :(

Kim

Konadog
11/22/2004, 10:33 AM
Kim, I wouldn't worry for a week or two. If they are dead, the purple mat will start to sluff off. GSP's do this sometimes. Do you have a fish or crab that likes to frequent this area to pick at the rocks? Give it time, most likely they will open up in a day or two.

damselindistress
11/22/2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the reassurance Ken. I'll keep an eye on this piece. Nothing really bothers it except for the occasional snail picking its way through. Expecting a shipment of Zoos tomorrow... nice time the tank picked to give me grief, lol.

Kim

Konadog
11/22/2004, 11:43 AM
GSP's are hard to kill off. I would think you would notice other problems first. Most likely, a crab picked at them and made them mad. :)

kscrimshaw
11/22/2004, 11:50 AM
I was worried about mine when it didn't open for over a week after my lawnmower blenny rested on it. But it opened up again eventually, so don't worry!

damselindistress
11/22/2004, 12:12 PM
A whole week Karen! Wow! I'm feeling much better now about my gsp's. :) Certainly do hope they're just pouting Ken, lol. I wonder if I have a female on my hands??? heh

Kim

luger
11/22/2004, 12:21 PM
i wouldnt worry,normal behavior.

HalMurray
11/22/2004, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't worry about a couple of days, my GSP's close up every time one of my shrimp walks over them or one of my fish brushes by them.

Toddrtrex
11/22/2004, 04:05 PM
While I agree with the above - I would suggest one thing - use a turkey baster to blow off any detris that is on the mat. You will be surprised how huch you can blow off of them.

damselindistress
11/22/2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks Todd... I did blow it over with a powerhead this morning. I'll keep checking it.