PDA

View Full Version : Spirorbids = lots Corraline = None

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 08:10 AM
Ive been dripping kalk in my tank now for some time now and i have noticed LOTS of spirorbid worms all over the place but no corralline algae will grow. doesn't the spirorbid worm use calcium to form its shell?? so its not a case of lack of calcium then is it?? my lights aren't too bright either. 1 150w MH, 4 32w No Actinics...

any takers as to why the corralline algae is not growing??

R33f3r
11/22/2004, 08:24 AM
How old is your tank? What is your alk levels? There must be a stable balance between alk and calcium for coralline to really take off and grow. Lot's of waterflow is necessary as well.

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the quick reply R33f3r, The tank is heading on 2 years old
now. I reckon youve hit the nail on the head. I don't test alk at all!, Waterflow is very good though. What should the levels be at ???

R33f3r
11/22/2004, 09:47 AM
Alk should be from 8-11 Dkh, IMO. I like mine around 9.5 dkh and Ca from 370-400. I dose a two part solution called calxmax (http://www.warnermarine.com/calxmax.htm) and coralline is growing everywhere. Also be sure you have low to 0 phosphates because high levels of p04 will inhibit coralline from growing.

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 11:21 AM
ok, im not gonna get hold of calxmax here in South Africa, Do you have to add supplements to get the alk up?? what other supps can you use instead of calxmax?? more readily Available.....

Q-ball
11/22/2004, 12:09 PM
[moved]

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 01:01 PM
I just put some Kent Ph-Dkh buffer, into my usual kalkwasser mix, Will that help??

der_wille_zur_macht
11/22/2004, 01:19 PM
No, don't put anything into kalkwasser - it's a pretty unstable solution since Ca and CO3 are more or less supersaturated. Mixing anything into it will probably cause a whole bunch of precipitation, making the kalkwasser unhelpful or even damaging to your tank.

Get a test kit and check your alk - it might be perfect. Kalkwasser is, essentially, a "two part" additive rolled into one, in that it raises Ca and alk levels equally.

The third, and probably slightly less important, chemical required for good coralline growth is magnesium. If you're doing regular water changes it's probably fine, but it wouldn't hurt to test for it, either. You can use Epsom Salt or a commercial supplement if it's not at an appropriate level already.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do. Many species of coralline don't seem to like bright light. Increasing your diversity by introducing a few small pieces of live rock from various sources will help give you a good variety of species.

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 03:47 PM
gee thanks der_wille_zur_macht, wont put anymore Kent Dkh in,

But then how come i have been adding kalkwasser for quite some time and there isn't any corroline growth?? you say that the addition of kalk bring the alk up aswell??? Is that true?? thanks for the response./..

der_wille_zur_macht
11/22/2004, 03:53 PM
Yes, kalkwasser will add both Ca and alkalinity to the tank, in balanced proportions.

If you've been adding something else to your kalk mix before dripping it, you may not have seen that result though, since you were probably precipitating quite a bit of Ca or carbonate (or both) out of the kalkwasser.

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 04:03 PM
k thanks, i have magnesium (pharmacy quality) that i will add from now on to the kalk, and will leave out the kent Dkh ,thanks man... Chris....

der_wille_zur_macht
11/22/2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by StinkyNappy
to the kalk,

Don't add anything to the kalk, it will cause precipitation - removing the very stuff from the kalk that you want to add to your tank.

If you have something else you want to add, add it seperately.

Get some test kits - Ca, alk, pH, mag - and find out exactly where you stand on all those parameters before you do anything. ;)

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 04:09 PM
ok, thanks, i have all those test kits (too lazy to use em) but will test all tom mornin, . Thanks for the info man!!

StinkyNappy
11/22/2004, 04:12 PM
ps, do you grow crocs???

der_wille_zur_macht
11/22/2004, 04:13 PM
No. The site administration saw fit to turn me into a "model" gator. It's a long story. :D