PDA

View Full Version : Power Filter for a 29G reef?

nam2212
11/22/2004, 07:43 AM
What power filter would you recommend for my tank? It is a 29G with 50lbs LR and 30lbs LS. It will be the home of a BTA in the near future. Right now I have a Lawnmower blenny and a Coral Beauty. I am getting rid of the Eclipse hood and going with PC lighting, so I need to get a Power Filter for the tank also. Does anybody know what I should get or, more importantly, what I should stay away from? I like the looks of the Emperor 400, but I would have to pull the Bio-wheels out. Do they function just as well without the Bio-wheel? I also like the Tetratek 150 because of the integrated heater capsule that would let me take the heater out of my tank. Would the Tetratek 150 be enough? The heater that comes with it is 100w, is that enough to heat my 29G? Thanks.

LX302
11/22/2004, 08:36 AM
The heater should be sized for 2-3 watts per gal, or 5 watts if it's in a colder area below 60 degrees, like a basement.

Just get a small protein skimmer with 1 or 2 powerheads and skip the powerfilter. You have enough live rock for the bio filtration.
Your only reason to use a powerfilter is to use carbon and the small amount of particle filtering.

nam2212
11/22/2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by LX302
The heater should be sized for 2-3 watts per gal, or 5 watts if it's in a colder area below 60 degrees, like a basement.

Just get a small protein skimmer with 1 or 2 powerheads and skip the powerfilter. You have enough live rock for the bio filtration.
Your only reason to use a powerfilter is to use carbon and the small amount of particle filtering.

I have a Maxijet 600 and a Maxijet 400 in the tank. I also have a Prizm Pro skimmer. I would feel better if I also had a power filter, too.

r0gu3
11/22/2004, 01:47 PM
I have an Emperor 280, mag 3 (Protein skimmer), and MJ 1200 in my 29 gallon.

Nuhtty
11/22/2004, 02:11 PM
If you are set on a power filter, look at the Aquaclears. You can get them for fairly cheap at marinedepot.com or bigalsonline.com

They don't have biowheels and have a large area for placing media. You can also rig it into a mini-fuge with a $3.oo piece of acrylic.

Personally I don't think you need a powerfilter on a tank that size.

I have a 38G with 3 powerheads and an AquaC remora skimmer. No need for the filter.

VoidRaven
11/22/2004, 02:20 PM
If you really want the power filter, go with the AquaClear 500 and turn it into a mini-fuge w/carbon slot for a little extra polishing. Get some chaeto for the fuge and you'll be all set.

That is, if you decide to go with a filter.

speccialj922
11/22/2004, 02:59 PM
i would really avoid a power filter. it isnt going to do anything that your filtration wouldnt do already. except trap large amounts of waste and slowly build up and release into your water column raising your detectable nitrates. i would really implore you to at least think about not getting a power filter. i cant possibly imagine a good reason for adding one, unless youre one of those overstockers :) . especially if youre going to have an anenome - they arent tolerant of a whole lot of nitrates. i think youre doing great as it is. maybe thats just me though...

nam2212
11/22/2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by VoidRaven
If you really want the power filter, go with the AquaClear 500 and turn it into a mini-fuge w/carbon slot for a little extra polishing. Get some chaeto for the fuge and you'll be all set.

That is, if you decide to go with a filter.

That is an excellent idea. Could you please explain to me exactly what I would need to do to make this happen? I am new to SW, so I am not even sure what a fuge is. I read about them all the time on here, but I don't have one and have never really thought of getting one. What all would I need to make the conversion. Also, ant live rock or sand or anything else? What is chaeto? Thanks.

sting_ray
11/22/2004, 04:20 PM
I am having very good luck with a Fluval 204 canister filter and a Przim skimmer on my 29 gallon. Water quality has been perfect and everything is healthy and doing great.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Ebisan
11/22/2004, 05:43 PM
For my 30g, I have a HOB refugium with a Rio powerhead (will probably switch it to a Maxijet) and an Aquaclear 200. I have a skimmer but not using it yet. I like the Aquaclear because I can put carbon or phosban in there. Hopefully someday I'll install a sump, put the refugium and skimmer on it.

VoidRaven
11/22/2004, 09:22 PM
nam2212...I dropped you a PM with some links and a few thoughts. Hope that helps!

A refugium is a type of nutrient removal tool, for lack of better term, to help pull nitrates out of the water. Using the AC500 as a holding box, the macro algae (chaeto) gets kept out of the main display tank but because of the water flow-through is still able to pull nutrients out of the water and help improve your water quality levels.

That's the extremely very short explanation. I dropped you a few links that might help better explain it and show you what the AC500 DIY fuge project looks like.

Good luck to you!

sting_ray
11/23/2004, 09:17 AM
Voidraven, I would also be interested in those links if you think I could apply them to my 29 gal acrylic reef tank.

Kevin

VoidRaven
11/23/2004, 10:22 PM
sting_ray.....ygpm

Ehydo
11/23/2004, 10:32 PM
I ran a Emperor 280 and 2 maxi 1200's for a long time in my 29. I removed the bio-wheel and the filter. All it did was move the water. Every once and a while I would put a filter in for 24 hours to remove particulates from the water.

tomleone
12/07/2004, 10:35 AM
I'd like to convert my AC500 to a fuge too. Right now its on a Freshwater tank, but that tank has a penguin 303 and is getting another one this week, so the AC500 can be moved on.

spline9
12/07/2004, 10:47 AM
I have a 29g. I was running just LR/LS and a Prizm skimmer. I added a Fluval204 to add mechanical filtration and to run carbon in. Since then I've added a sump/fuge with chaeto and a Berlin Classic skimmer to replace the Prizm.

Melbourne
12/07/2004, 02:41 PM
Hi,

I used a Emperor 280 and a Remora skimmer on a LR curing tank (29g) and it worked well. The power filter was just used to run carbon and move the water. They make small HOB refugiums that also work well, CPR makes a line you may want to take a look at.

-Mike