PDA

View Full Version : Clam vs. Blenny

JD52
11/23/2001, 02:39 PM
Well I have had my Squamosa for about eight weeks now and up untill recently he's been just fine, whats happening is that I've noticed whenever the clam attempts to fully extend his mantle the Lawnmower Blenny nips at it, enough to cause the clam to fully retract, and now he hardly ever opens fully, I was just curious if anyone else has wittnessed this behaviour from a Blenny... The clam still appears to be healthy, when it does open, it will immidiately react to any change in light and is firmly attatched to a piece of live rock...
The clam is approx. 4 inches across, under a 250w Saki about ten inches away from the light.... Im thinkin the Blenny may be looking for a new home soon!

Physh1
11/23/2001, 03:29 PM
What dind of blenny is it? I have seen many be mean to scallops and clams. Sometimes killing them and using the shell as a home. I would probably move the blenny to another tank or LFS. He will more then likely continue to pester it. Occassionaly you may be be able to get away with moving the clam to another part fo the tank. This may get the clam out of the blenny territory. It's worth a shot before you try to catch the blenny and move him...

Cameron

JD52
11/23/2001, 03:50 PM
Thanks Cameron, the Blenny in question is a Lawnmower Blenny... I would love to be able to move the clam but he is securely attatched to a very large piece of rock,,, and I dont want to risk moving him or further stress him by the attempt.... Basicly I was just curious to know if Blenny's had a reputation for this behaviour, since in all my research I've never read or heard of a clam badgering blenny...

Ironreef
11/23/2001, 04:09 PM
blennies are known to irritate clams /corals