PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem

paul wheeles
11/21/2004, 09:56 PM
I have had my 37g tank just long enuff for it to cycle I just put 4 turbo snails and 8 blue leg hermits, I have had 2 damsels in it and about 35lbs of live rock and about a 4" bed of sand from the start. Water checks out good I have 300 watts oh vho lighting that is on about 13 hours a day and the algae is out of control I will clean the glass and with in an hour I would have to do it all over. I have a Aquaclear 150 filter and a Aqua C remmora hang on skimmer two power heads heater the water stays about 80-82 degrees. I just pulled all the live rock out and cleaned all the hair algae off of it. Any other suggestions would help. Is any of that algae killer stuff you poor in the tank worth using or not??
THANKS
Paul

jeffb3t
11/21/2004, 10:10 PM
When you say your water checks out good, what are you testing for? Do a test for phospates as well. If they are too high, that could help fuel your algae growth. Do you use tap water or RO? I would say that if you have excess algae growth it has something to do with your water and adding algae killer chemicals is only a temporary fix. Find the source of the problem and correct it.

Dubbin1
11/21/2004, 10:10 PM
Lower your lighting time and add a bigger cleanup crew. 4 snails is not even in the ball park. I would get at least 20 more. I would also add about 10 more crabs.

ItsMee
11/21/2004, 10:17 PM
you could also turn your skimmer up and maybe feed less

Larry Waughon
11/21/2004, 11:31 PM
Make sure you are using RO water, cut your lights back to 10 hrs,and keep doing your water changes weekly. Good Luck!

paul wheeles
11/23/2004, 06:45 PM
Is what Dubbin1 is saying right I need 24 mexican turbo snails and 18 blue leg hermits??????? WOW that is way off what the girl at the LPS told me but if it is right then it is sould I get a star and if so what kind and how many. Any other suggestion will help me out!!!!!!!!
THANKS
Paul

Larry Waughon
11/23/2004, 08:57 PM
paul wheeles, he is right in that you could add to your snails and crabs.I would not add 24 more turbo's, but maybe a few more with some other varieties. I personally wouldn't put any star in a reef tank.

paul wheeles
11/23/2004, 10:54 PM
OK well I have the 4 snails and 8 blue legs what else do you suggest??? I am up for opptions I really dont want to go at this half way.. Like I said it is a 37g about 4" sand bed about 35 lbs of LR. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

Neptune's Nemesis
11/23/2004, 11:49 PM
IMO add things as they are needed and choose things you like. Maybe 12 astraea snails- great workers on glass and rock
2-3 scarlett hermits-munch on some algae and pick sand
6 cerith snails-good for hard to get spots and stirring sand
0 stars- brittles eat fish and sandsifters decimate DSB
See how that goes for a few days add more as needed. Once your tank has been running for a little bit longer add a few nassarius snails to eat excess food and stir the sand. And last but not least a cuke to keep the sand nice and clean. Hope that helps.

ItsMee
11/27/2004, 06:59 PM
how long of algae hair before the snails wont eat it?

prodman
11/27/2004, 07:08 PM
I would get at least one astrea per gallon turbos are messy. And get 3 ceriths to every astrea. They make the astrea poop eaiser for the skimmer to pull out and eat other algae. I would also look into removing sand and going barebottom. With onlt 4" of sand you are not geeting the benifits of a DSB only the downside.
jmo-Paul