PDA

View Full Version : pumps or powerheads?

DaddyJax
11/21/2004, 09:20 PM
setting up my tank is a little confusing with overflow gal per hr and lights and wet/dry with skimmer ect...
can someone help with my setup please?
I got burnt with a nano cube earlier and took it back to lfs. they want to make it right by giving me store credit and setting me with a 75gal tank at cost!! but I want to make sure Im not getting the wrong equip for what I want to do!

I want to set up a live rock and Giant clam with corals and a few fish! they want to set me up with 150gal elite wet dry, magdrive 1200, and a custom overflow. no lights though yet.

Detritivore
11/21/2004, 09:29 PM
if you have liverock you wont need the bioballs in the wet/dry...lights depend on what type of coral you want

Larry Waughon
11/22/2004, 12:46 AM
Instead of wet dry get reg fish tank to use for sump.

DaveC
11/22/2004, 06:32 AM
If you are going to setup a reef tank, tell them to keep the wet/dry filter, a regular fish tank has more room for in sump skimmers, heaters etc....Sell a tank at cost is not much of a favor as most LFS sell there tanks at slightly over cost anyways, and hope to make the money up on filters, etc...lights all depends on what you are going to keep and what size tank you end up with...skimmers...well stay away from the SeaClone's and the Prizm's, those are popular models at LFS...you will need some sand but if you can find southdown, or other play sand you will save a bunch of money that way....the mag12 pump may be sufficient, but ask what the GPH of the overflows are....I believe there should be two on a 150 gallon tank, that is if you are getting a reef ready tank which I think you would want...you can count on at least two overflows at 600 GPH each, that is 1200 which is what the pump is, but take into consideration the head loss depending on your plumbing and you are proably down to 900 or 1000 at most....a mag18 with a ball valve on the output would be a better choice IMO....150 is a fairly deep tank, so becareful on your lighting choice, need deep pentration on your lighting....power compacts may work but you would need alot of them, T5's are better, but I like the Metal Halides...I use 4 250's over my 125 gallon tank....if they are getting you stuff at cost on everything get some good equipment..

DaveC

thesmith
11/22/2004, 02:29 PM
DaveC, he's looking at a 75 gallon tank - that 150g would be the rating on the wet/dry. (Just wanted to clarify, so he doesn't run out & buy that Mag18 for nothing ;)

thrlride
11/22/2004, 02:47 PM
Since you want clams you will most likely need MH lights. I would buy 2 250 watt MH lights, maybe 10k ones. Then get either VHO or T5 for supplimentation. Euroreef and ASM skimmers are good so go that route. Skip the wetdry, just get a 30 gallon long tank and make that your sump. Your skimmer/pump and heater can go in that tank, out of sight.

DaddyJax
11/22/2004, 08:29 PM
Hey guys thanks!!
so the wet/dry sump bio media isnt needed?
and I was going to use live sand!! never heard of using play sand!!

DaddyJax
11/22/2004, 08:31 PM
also think Im going to go with a drilled tank instead of overflo!!

DaveC
11/23/2004, 05:43 AM
sorry, mis-read your post...thought you were getting a 150 gallon tank...I retract my advice on the mag18, mag12 would be fine.....I think most reefers opt to use play sand if they can find the right sand....southdown is carried by most home depots, I believe white castle is another people use...and yes, the built in overflows are the way to go if starting out fresh....when plumbing your tank use ball valves and unions in all key areas..make taking the equipment off line for cleaning alot easier...hard PVC pipe is better than the vinyl flex hose also, and if you can get the spa type flexible PVC that works great.....Good Luck..you will have fun...

DaveC