PDA

View Full Version : ***Changing bulbs on Corallife compact***

abfleck
11/21/2004, 08:58 PM
HI,

I went to look at my bulbs for the type of pin arrangement on my corallife compact lighting to replace the bulbs. I tried to pry the connector off the pins, but they were rusted on. I pry to hard and caused the top cap of the light to pop half way off. This as a result seperated the element causing the bulb to stop working. Is there a good way to get the conector to release without destroying the bulb? Has this happened to anyone else in the reefer community? What was your solution? Please all comments welcome at this point!!!!!!!!!!

Fleck:mad2:

akaboo
11/21/2004, 09:23 PM
I would try to contact Corallife, and let them know what happened. Most of the larger companies I have dealt with are very helpful. If you would, and if you contact them let me know what they say. I just purchaced a new Corallife lunar light.

good luck,
Steve

abfleck
11/21/2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by akaboo
I would try to contact Corallife, and let them know what happened. Most of the larger companies I have dealt with are very helpful. If you would, and if you contact them let me know what they say. I just purchaced a new Corallife lunar light.

good luck,
Steve

Thanks...I will do!

Fleck

Paul79936
11/21/2004, 10:51 PM
Yes, both bulbs on the left side had this problem. I think it was caused by heat. the sockets were a brownish color and very brittle. They came apart when I tried to get them loose from the bulbs. I bought new sockets from HelloLights and replaced them.

Scuba Oz
11/22/2004, 11:31 AM
AKA, I am also wanting to purchase the same lights for my 37g, How do you like them?

aquaman67
11/22/2004, 12:49 PM
I had the same problem with my power compact lights. I used a very small amount of di-electric grease on the pins before I pushed them into the socket. I got a small packet of grease at Auto Zone.

The grease will not get into the water if you have moisture proof end caps (the boot type) as Custom Sea Life Lights do...

VoidRaven
11/22/2004, 02:04 PM
I had the same problem with mine, all were very difficult to get the caps off and one was darn near impossible. But I managed. The contacts were toned a different color from the heat and constant 10-12 hour usage every day. Maybe it's a design flaw, I don't know...I wonder if both the straight pin and square pin PC lights have this same problem or if this is unique to Coralife?

I've been told by other reefers that it gets easier after the first bulb change. We shall see in 6 months.