PDA

View Full Version : Help new Salt water tank

haggus75
11/21/2004, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I'm realy new to that hobby... This week-end I bought a 10 gal tank kit. I was suppose to built it with fresh water. But now I have found that site and I want to do a salt water system.

So I want to have some sand, live rock and 3-4 small fish(if possible to have that much)... Is it possible to do it with a 10gal tank. And do I need to get a protein skimmer or does the carbon type filter will do the work. How much watts of light do I need... right now there is two "tub" light type. Do I need other thing to make it work??? Right now I dont have the space for a bigger one... in a year I plan to move in a house.

As for fish I would like to have a clown fish first... As for the other one could you suggest some that are compatible with a clown fish.

Thank you for your input,
Martin Langlois

brett3735
11/21/2004, 09:06 PM
try posting in the nano reef forum on this site. You could probably get a clownfish and maybe a small goby.

Detritivore
11/21/2004, 09:12 PM
3-4 fish imo is to much...i only keep one in my 20 gal. make sure you do your homework, i didnt and i almost ruined my whole tank!

DaddyJax
11/21/2004, 09:39 PM
Hey fellow newbie

If I may make a suggestive story! I went out and bought a 10gal nano and bought the rock and sand and did exactly what the store told me to do. after a monthe my tank cycled and i bought shrimp clams and hermits and a new rock uncired wich the store sold me with no problems and knowing I was a newbie! did water change and filters...the whole 9 yards!!

overnight everything was dead!!!

I found this site and they helped me alot! told me the right books and what size tank is recommended for newbies! 55-75gal!!
10gal is usually for experienced people! thankfully my store took my tank back and is setting me up with a 75gal!!

I hope you all the success and that you dont make the mistake I made and many many others have!! My advice is READ ALOT!!

jeffb3t
11/21/2004, 09:51 PM
I agree with DaddyJax, a bigger tank is easier if you are new at this. One of the biggest problems you will encounter with small tanks is keeping your water balance stable. One mistake like overfeeding can cause an ammonia spike that could kill everything in your tank. I would recommend turning your tank into a freshwater and spending as much time as you can doing your homework on saltwater tanks and setups. Once you move into your house, go for a bigger tank and go from there.

puffdaddy_1
11/21/2004, 10:17 PM
I also agree with DaddyJax. The old saying here is that nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Well the smaller your tank, the faster something bad can happen. Im sure anyone on here will tell you that its harder to control paramters in a smaller tank that a bigger one.

Detritivore
11/21/2004, 11:32 PM
i wish i knew about reef central before i started....should've got that 75 gal. :( ;)