PDA

View Full Version : open brain problem!

Blown 346
11/21/2004, 07:55 PM
I have had my open brain for over 6 months now and it was doing great, it grew about twice its size. I fed it about a week ago and since then the very next day it closed, and hasnt opened since. All of my parameters are 0 except for nitrate which is .05 and P.H of 8.3. Temp is at 78 and salinity is 1.024. All of my other corals like frogspawn, acro, gonipora, bubble are doing fine. Im stumped as what could be wrong. It's done this before but not for this length of time. It doesnt have any neighboring corals, it is by itself on the sand bed in its own space. I have 5.1 watts a gallon.
Thanks Mike

bertoni
11/22/2004, 09:31 PM
Tough one. You could try in the coral forum. You could consider doublechecking your SG device and bumping the SG to 1.026 to 1.027. I would say the temperatures is at the low end. On the other hand, I can't say that either of those two parameters is causing the problem. What are you feeding the coral?

Brain Finger
11/22/2004, 09:42 PM
give it some time, mine has done this and then opened up again. give it like another week

Blown 346
11/22/2004, 11:12 PM
I gave it a small piece of freeze dried krill, that is what i have been feeding the brain and the bubble coral since i bought them.
I am just getting concerned since it has never stayed closed for this period of time.

bertoni
11/22/2004, 11:17 PM
Well, mine never has either, but you could just wait and see. You might want to check out the coral food recipe in the coral forum. It might be more varied and thus helpful over the long haul.

Avi
11/23/2004, 12:29 AM
The only thing that ever caused mine to close like that, was over time, a need for more light than they were getting. I raised them a bit closer to the light and they opened up and showed their stuff immediately. If yours is down toward the bottom of the tank, you might try raising it somewhat.