PDA

View Full Version : Water level

patsan
11/21/2004, 06:48 PM
We just got our new tank filled and turned it on for the first time. It is loud.
I'd like to know how much water should be in the sump? It seems like more noise is coming from the water dropping into the sump area than from the water going down the overflow.:confused:

gitsumpottery
11/21/2004, 07:12 PM
How much does your tank overflow when you turn the return pump off? Figure that out and add saltwater to your sump below that, so if the power turns off you won't overflow your sump.

You basically want enough room in your sump for the overflow water from the tank when the return pump is turned off.

Zac

patsan
11/21/2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks Zac. I have plenty of room to add more water then. I just have no idea as I am totally new to this.
As soon as my skimmer is delivered, will I have to remove water from the sump once I put it into it, or will the water level be the same with the skimmer in it.
I also figured I should get the temperature up before adding the salt. Is that right?

gitsumpottery
11/21/2004, 07:29 PM
If your skimmer is an in sump skimmer you should be able to add it in while the tank is running. I added my euro-reef into my sump and swapped out my hob skimmer without turning the pump off. The skimmer will fill its body with tank water, so check to see how the sump level changes.

If you just have water running right now with sand, rock (I hope not if you don't have salt in it yet), you can add some salt now, but once the tank gets to temp the salinity changes a bit, so just add a little less now and adjust once temp is reached.

Then get it ready for your liverock!

Do you have compartments in your sump?

Zac

patsan
11/21/2004, 07:42 PM
I only have water in it now. I plan on ordering TampaBaySaltwater sand and rock.
My skimmer will be a Euroreef cs6-2+. Hopefully it will get here soon. Marine Depot was out of them and said they would have Euroreef dropship it, but it's been almost 2 weeks now. Marine Depot said they will call them on Monday to find out if they shipped it.
I won't order my rock until I have the skimmer set up. My sump is 24x16x16 with once small compartment (like 1/3 of it) where the original bio-balls would have gone. I originally planned on freshwater when I ordered the tank. Then found the marine world and knew it was what I wanted, so I nixed the wet/dry and making it a sump. I still have EVERYTHING to learn!!

gitsumpottery
11/21/2004, 08:18 PM
Best way to learn it to surf this website.... Don't forget to use the search engine if you have a question. There's loads of answers there.

It's always nice to find someone near you to be able to talk to in person. You can find them on here, or through local meetings.

Zac

patsan
11/21/2004, 08:24 PM
Hard to believe, but I have learned a lot just by surfing these posts. I found someone living on Long Island who has been answering many questions I have had. Unfortunately, he is on a business trip now. Figures my tank would come while he was away. lol
Thanks once again for your help.

OCDP
11/21/2004, 09:29 PM
Patsan... I guarantee you if you spent an hour a day on here surfing AND posting questions.. you will learn so much.. I came into this hobby knowing absolutely nothing... and now , after 3 short months.. I feel like I have gained a TON of knowledge from this website. I think research on here can definitely lead to a successful aquarium, so never stop with the Reef Central ;)

As for the skimmer and LR, you can surely order your live rock now... by the time its in the tank... and then you get the skimmer.. it wont make much of a difference seeing as your waiting a month or so for it to cycle!

Be aware of TBS rock though!! Search on RC about TBS rock.. it comes with TONS of life on it.. because it is shipped in water. People get lots of bad hitch hikers (mantis, gorilla crab) etc... so just watch out for that once you order it ;) And feel free to ask as many questions that pop into your head.

xxticy007
11/21/2004, 09:34 PM
Does anyone have a preference on where they order their live rock and sand from or do they get it from the LFS? If you do order it let me know where from.
Thanks

Larry Waughon
11/21/2004, 11:52 PM
I like to go to LFS so I can pick out neat shapes and sizes. If I was going to order on-line, it would be from premium. They have great rock and are nice people to deal with. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/LiveStock.htm

HalMurray
11/22/2004, 04:20 PM
Sand you can buy at the LFS. If you want to buy live rock online check out the prices at www.reefscience.com. I bought from them and had real good luck.

patsan
11/22/2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks!