PDA

View Full Version : What are some good things to buy?

obarrera
11/21/2004, 05:16 PM
What are some good liquids(im not sure what they are called)to buy for corals and invertebrates?

obarrera
11/21/2004, 06:09 PM
Please help.
Im worried that my corals might not do good cause I don't add anything to my tank.Also my fire shrimp just died after molting and im not sure what happened.I don't have test kit right now but im buying one ASAP.

vapovick
11/21/2004, 06:12 PM
iodine is what is used for inverts and the molting process, they use it to build their shell. (shrimp, crabs, etc...

Corals use magnesium, calcium, strotium, and more.

Check out the book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1890087475/104-8909849-4586302?v=glance

it should help you with some of your questions.
./good luck

obarrera
11/21/2004, 06:24 PM
So if I had Iodine in my tank the shrimp wouldn't of died?

gitsumpottery
11/21/2004, 06:58 PM
If you plan on adding "liquids" or supplements to your tank, try to limit what you add. You don't need all the latest additives.

I currently only add kalkwasser to my top-off water, which you can buy as pickling lime (brand name Mrs. Wages). For alkalinity boosters you can use Baking Soda (for raising alk). I use Seachem's Calcium additive, but only occasionally (and that is for raising calc). If you can get away with using Kalk in your topoff you don't need much else.

Of course, if you are doing your weekly water changes, then you really don't need to add anything unless you have a lot of stony corals.

If you want to supplement Iodine, you should research here on ReefCentral. And remember, always test what you are adding.

Zac

gitsumpottery
11/21/2004, 07:00 PM
Sorry, I have to add one more thing. I don't add Iodine, and my shrimp are living. So I don't find it necessary, but there are people that swear by Iodine, so you need to figure it out by yourself.

Zac

obarrera
11/21/2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by gitsumpottery
Of course, if you are doing your weekly water changes, then you really don't need to add anything unless you have a lot of stony corals.

Zac

Yeah that's what it's weird,I do 20% weekly water changes so I thought all was good.Do you think it was something is else then?
The reason why I thought the shrimp died because of the calcium or iodine was because it died after molting.:confused: