PDA

View Full Version : glass drilling question

RichT
11/21/2004, 01:52 AM
Nobody (glass guys) has a 2.5" hole bit within reasonable distance to my little slice of paradise. The closest guy is 1 hr away, wants $50 a hole, and all sorts of other baggage. So I'm going to do it myself. I have read a bunch of threads, found a tutorial (actually linked to a thread) talked to other glass guys, and feel confident I'll get it done. Anyway, the dremmel bits are 3/32 and I have a Roto-Zip. The smallest collect is 1/8" for the Roto-Zip. One of the threads suggested scotch tape to make up the difference. I was hoping to find a little more positive connection method than that. Has anybody tried a collect in a collect, or come up with an alternative method of adapting the bit? I would much rather spend the money on livestock than another tool. I already have enough of those. Also, my local HD only has the 7134. And doesn’t seem to care that the don't have the others. "Its a smaller store". "Go check in <insert town here> store, their bigger." HD online doesn’t have them and you can't buy them direct from Dremmel. Any suggestions at to where its best to get the other bits would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

:strooper: <----putting on safety glasses to drill

der Riff-Konig
11/21/2004, 02:04 AM
Sometimes I find those hard to find things at grainger. Its a shot. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/homepage.jsp

romunov
11/21/2004, 02:38 AM
You can buy Dremel bits on Amazon (www.amazon.com). And IMO, buying a quality tools is always a good investment.

Cheesy_Puffs
11/21/2004, 02:57 AM
I bought the collet when I drilled our 20g. They don't sell dremel collet packs at the HD?

Also it took quite a while drilling the hole and that was only a 20g where the glass wasnt too thick. IMO you may be better off using a diamond hole saw for the 150g, as it should grind through the glass a lot better (actual round holes) than the dremel method.

ITR
11/21/2004, 10:13 AM
rtyndall,

One thing I noticed about your post that you may have a problem with in drilling is actually using a Rotozip. My Rotozip only have one setting - On=Super Freaking Fast.

I ended up using a dremel tool. Mine is actually a Craftsman dremel type tool that has 8+ settings. It is a 100 times easier to control, especially around glass because it has less torque. You may want to try this instead of the Rotozip unless yours has multiple settings. Also, make sure you have someone dripping plenty of water on the bit as you go. A small funnel above the cut worked better for me than a spray bottle.

BTW - I purchases all of my glass bits at Home Depot. They were a little hard to find and I believe I had to go to two different Home Depot's, but they had them.

Good luck.

fishman124
11/21/2004, 01:16 PM