PDA

View Full Version : need to find check valves.........

puffdaddy_1
11/21/2004, 01:13 AM
HI guys,

I have a mag drive 7 that I use for my return pump. It has 3/4" vinyl tubing that returns water back to the tank. I also have a maxi jet 900 with 5/8" vinyl tubing that pumps water into my hob refugium. I want to get check valves for both of these. I am having trouble finding valves that I can use with the vinyl tubing. Does anyone know where I could get some? Links would also be helpful.

I appreciate your response

rspar
11/21/2004, 01:23 AM
There are better ways of controlling water flow than check valves which will eventually fail without notice.

der Riff-Konig
11/21/2004, 01:25 AM
Here are a few that might work. http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.categories/ssid/352

puffdaddy_1
11/21/2004, 01:31 AM
What are some better ways to control back syphoning?

siefker
11/21/2004, 01:35 AM
Hey puff,

drill some holes just slighlty (or at) below the waterline (in main tank return lines).

These holes will suck air once the pump turns off and break the siphoning.

puffdaddy_1
11/21/2004, 01:37 AM
have check valves been known to fail?

siefker
11/21/2004, 01:43 AM
they cause too much grief, one being buildup of material (yes causing failures), un-necessary backpressure, and added expense.

go with the fool-proof: a small hole 1/16" right at the water surface in your return lines. it will stop the siphon without question.

mikester
11/21/2004, 02:04 PM
Just be sure that your anti-siphon hole doesn't get clogged with salt creep or it can fail too.

siefker
11/21/2004, 04:33 PM
if you leave it just slightly below the waterline you will never have to think about it again.

rspar
11/21/2004, 07:58 PM
Or drill siphon holes just above the water line so it sucks air when the pumps off and looses it's siphon.

On the sump side I put an elbow on the suction side and move it up so it can't pump more than the tank can hold.

mhurley
11/21/2004, 08:06 PM
You can buy nice check valves that aren't nearly as subject to failure and allow you to clean them. Specifically, these:
http://www.savko.com/PartList.asp?pgid=1&ptid=3&pid=2

I use a couple of them. They are not the "flapper" type of check. there's a weighted plug in that WYE chamber that water pressure pushes back. You can unscrew that chamber, pull the plug out and clean it if need be. Very nice.

mikester
11/21/2004, 08:58 PM
Since you've used those Wye check valves before, could you answer a couple of questions? I've been looking at them, but want to know the answers to these questions before I drop $60 on a check valve:

1) Do they have to be installed in a particular orientation (i.e. horizontal only)?

2) When you pull that part out to clean it, will water come shooting out? Do you need to install valves on either end to shut off the water when you clean it?

mhurley
11/21/2004, 09:59 PM
1) Not exactly sure. Mine are vertical only, because the check is weighted, so it needs gravity to make it work. However, if you install it horizontal, the check is still at a 45 degree angle so I would guess it would still engage.

2) You would need to turn off pump before unscrewing it or water will come spraying at you. Installing a gate valve would be good measure too.