PDA

View Full Version : green chromis questions

Mantis806
11/21/2004, 12:59 AM
i bought 5 green chromis about 3-4weeks after my tank finished cycling. one died. they were all really small when i got them. barely 1/2" and they were all roughly the same size. it's been about four months and they seem to be getting along with four in the group. i read that they should be kept in odd numbers, that's why i bought 5. but they seem to be happy as four. they all seem to bicker slightly with eat other sometimes. just random ramming into eat other and nipping here and there. nothing serious, they generally stick together thoughout the day. anyway, it seems they have established some sort of pecking order. they have all seemed to have grown into various sizes. ranging from 1-"-3/4" to 1/2". the smallest one hasn't grown at all. i'm worried about the little guy. i'm just wondering if it's normal for them to grow according to their respective pecking order. i don't see the big ones picking on the little one anymore than they pick on eat other. if anything, i think the littlest guy gets picked on the least. i see them eat, and the little guy gets his share all the time. it just looks all weird having them all different sizes. i'm trying to get them to all grow to their max size b/c they look nice when they're like 2"-3". any suggestions or opinions?

romunov
11/21/2004, 02:43 AM
Looks like you have a relative of mine in there. :D
I think you could also try Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=88) forum. Be sure to do a search before you post - your question might have already be answered.

DaveC
11/21/2004, 06:16 AM
Yea mine are about the same, have grown in size differently...yes there is a pecking order, but not sure if that has anything to do with the growth rate as all mine eat about the same...never heard of the odd number trick, but have hear small schools of 3 or more is better..I also ended up with four...the five one had to hide behind the overflow as the largest would beat him up pretty bad....eventually even though he was eating he died...I like my chromis though...adds alot of activity

DaveC

dave67
11/21/2004, 08:42 AM
i got 3 for my tank they got on fine for about 2 days then one went missing did not see him for 2 weeks so thought he was dead
then on day he just turned up but he dosent like swimming with the other 2 just hangs around the bottom of the tank

dave:fun1: