PDA

View Full Version : setting up a 75 gal reef tank need lighting help

snook63
11/21/2004, 12:39 AM
I am just setting up a 75gal reef tank am vary new to this have had a 10 gal tank for about 6 months and all is well need a recomendation for a light hood and how many bulbs and what combo of bulbs I do like the bluish look and would like a dusk and dawn appearance any suggestions please

R33f3r
11/21/2004, 12:55 AM
What do you want to keep?

Scooter64
11/21/2004, 12:59 AM
Lighting needs are dictaded by what you plan to keep in the tank. If you are going for fish only or fish and some low light demanding corals, you can get by with a fluorescent setup. PC (power compact) or VHO (very high output) . If you plan to keep more light demanding corals, you should plan on investing in a Metal Halide setup. This is general answer to your question. Types, brands, quantity etc. can be better answered in this forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=212)

Aquabucket
11/21/2004, 01:00 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

To Reef Central!

Did you get a chance to look at the TEK T5s @ reefgeek.com?

It looks like you have the budget to do things right the first time around.

I am a big fan of HO T5s especially for the beginer. They will also work quite well with the dimensions of your tank.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier today is you might want to consider a protein skimmer like a hang on back Aqua C Remora.

With a protein skimmer you will have more stocking options than if you go with the in-tank macro algae concept I use for natural filtration. Just another thing for you to think about if you can afford it right now. Otherwise its something you could always add down the line as your livestock load grows.

Best of luck and I am glad you made it over to this forum!
~Spike

Mantis806
11/21/2004, 01:06 AM
i am currently using the coralife dual 96watt PCs. honestly, i have seen VHO only tanks, and they look much better than my PCs. the colors of the VHOs look much nicer. also, the VHOs make the corals look nicer and bring out the colors more vividly. i'm content with my PCs, but could be much happier with VHOs i think. i'm just too cheap to switch lighting setups if it's not to upgrade to halides. pick the lighting you like the first time around so you're not spending more than you have to the second time around.

Aquabucket
11/21/2004, 01:15 AM
If you go with halides on that size tank a chiller may be in order.

That's just another reason why I favor T5s on your first set-up.

Its not like you are going to be diving into Acroporas and other very high light demanding corals and clams.

Also these type of corals will require a high amount of calcium and a calcium reactor would then de desired.

Its not a bad idea to keep things relatively simple for now.

As you get more experienced in the hobby you then might want to consider upgrading to halides and keeping these type of corals.

You may also find that having a mixed reef with LPS and softies and some of the lower light demanding SPS is the right kind of set-up for you long term.

worldwidereef
11/21/2004, 01:32 AM
I have 2 x 250 Mh on my 75 gal and I have no heat issues at all, my water temp stays at 80. I went to the lighting phases when I started and I wish I had just started with the MHs. Sure would have saved me alot of cash. But all other suggestion above make since too.