PDA

View Full Version : you never really get rid of apistasia do you.....

Broodingwolf
11/20/2004, 08:56 PM
/sigh

I thought my apistasia problem had cleared up, so I added fish to the new tank I had cycled and ready to go. Had killed the 2 apistasias in my tank.

I just noticed 4 new ones.. I've had fish in the tank for about a month now. SO DEPRESSED!!!

I guess I just need to buy a lifetime supply of joe's juice :(

reelfreak
11/20/2004, 09:03 PM
Have you tried peppermint shrimp??? took mine about a month to eat em....but it finally did....BUT be careful with pepps around corals....mine began to agitate some softies, so off to the lfs live rock tank it went (plenty of aptaisia there!!)...

Use the search function to find threads on other methods as well....I've read about several other techniques, but not tried them....good luck and don't get discouraged!!!

Broodingwolf
11/20/2004, 09:04 PM
Believe me I've tried everything. I've got 2 freeloading peps in the tank right now. I've searched the threads. Like I said, lifetime supply of joe juice, that's going to be my only salvation. :~(

reelfreak
11/20/2004, 09:17 PM
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure someone on here has the answer....give the thread a couple of bumps in the coming days and i would bet someone has an idea you might not have tried...

If it were me I might just have to start smashing them with anything i can find ( not that I would recommend that)....but that's how I can react to situations I can't control...

anyway thought i would give you a bump back to page one at least....good luck..

aquaman67
11/20/2004, 09:46 PM
You just have to keep at it...you'll get'em all...someday...

amirs
11/20/2004, 10:05 PM
Have you tried injecting them with lemon juice? It's a very effective and cheap solution.

Just get a small syringe, stick the needle into the aiptasia's body, and then inject them with a little (~1/2 mL) of lemon juice. It's worked perfectly in my tank...just try to only kill a few at a time, otherwise you might lower the tank pH by too much.

Jas0863
11/20/2004, 10:11 PM
I think the Peppermint Shrimp does a great job. I always keep at least one in my tank and I don't have or see any apts. in my tank.

Broodingwolf
11/20/2004, 10:21 PM
You know, I read about the lemon juice thing and never did try it out! Thanks so much for the suggestion at least that is a cheap way of killing the little b-tards. Now if I can only get past my killer clown, kefka, who feels that he must bite the crap out of me when I put my hand in the tank o_0

But seriously, do people who have had apistasia, ever really get rid of it? Does it just keep coming back every once in a while like this? /sigh

/threepio on
....we're doomed
/threepio off

Fenix
11/21/2004, 12:00 AM
Are you sure that the pepermint shirmps you have now are true pepermints? Because there is a lot of copycat species out their that look a lot like them and the fish stores pass them off as pepermints. Also make sure that they are the ones from the caribean because they are the only ones that eat the apisasia.

MrZ
11/21/2004, 01:18 AM
I finally was able to eradicate the last of them by injecting with kalkwasser paste. I think the reason it works so well is because of its low solubility in saltwater it sits on the rock for a long time making sure the aptasia doesn't make a comeback. A little bit goes a long way.

Its certainly not easy, if you miss 1 it will become 3. Once you are done though its all behind you.

G1GY
11/21/2004, 02:00 AM
I had good luck killing them by injecting their body with a hypodermic (The type that a diabetic would use that you can buy at the pharmacy.) filled with boiling water. You inject and see a little white cloud......Dead!:D

BTW, I always get them while their small and haven't tried on any realy large aptasia.

So far I've had nothing but good luck with this method.

Broodingwolf
11/21/2004, 02:01 AM
OK these replies are very inspiring... I just gotta keep at it!

thanks ^_^

parrotfish2005
11/21/2004, 03:18 AM
I had a tank full and purchased joes juice which comes with a plastic syringe but you just squirt it on them you don't inject them. It is a thick paste and you get to see them die immediately before your eyes. Watching them die brought me great pleasure after how ugly they made my tank.

Mark

SaltyMist
11/21/2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Broodingwolf
You know, I read about the lemon juice thing and never did try it out! Thanks so much for the suggestion at least that is a cheap way of killing the little b-tards. Now if I can only get past my killer clown, kefka, who feels that he must bite the crap out of me when I put my hand in the tank o_0

But seriously, do people who have had apistasia, ever really get rid of it? Does it just keep coming back every once in a while like this? /sigh

/threepio on
....we're doomed
/threepio off

I've not gotten fully rid of them yet, they are in check though in my display tank, and somewhat in check in my sump. But it does take time, eventually you should be able to get them all.

reelfreak
11/21/2004, 11:04 AM
SaltyMist-

That's if your crabs don't keep spreading em around for you!!:lol:
that's hilarious, wonder if he likes having the little $h!+ on his back???

Broodingwolf
11/21/2004, 03:09 PM
ARRRRRRRRRRRGH

I just figured out how I got apistasia reinfestation.. I looked in my fuge, which I just added some caleupera to and there's like 3 big ones in there. ARGH I knew I shuoldn't have bought caleupera from that LFS!! Their tanks are infested with the stuff, but they are the only one I've found in my area that carries it. God I'm SO ****ED RIGHT NOW!!

dlancz
11/21/2004, 04:57 PM
Good luck with your battle, it will end in time I'm sure

Broodingwolf
11/21/2004, 05:04 PM
ugh basically the whole refugium is rife with them... oooh that makes me so mad!!!

Time to buy some new macro algae.. anyone want to sell some prefferably chaeto to me? :D