PDA

View Full Version : Question about hippo?

cuthbert80
11/20/2004, 06:22 PM
Yesterday, I added my first fish to me recently setup 100Gal.

I chose a blue (or hippo) tang because the mrs and I simply love the colour and personality ;)

Is it normal for a newly introduced hippo to constantly swim back and forth along the glass??

He seems to be in good health (he had a healthy apetite at the LFS and I acclimated him for about 45 mins)

I know he will probably settle down after 2 or 3 days but just wanted to check with all u hippo owners... ;)

Regards ;)

whilb
11/20/2004, 06:35 PM
don't know if you saw Finding Nemo but dori was a dingbat and that is as true to life as I've ever seen in a movie Mine scares the heck out of me it goes back and forth lays sideways in the coral and hangs upside down don't be suprised or worried until it's floating (maybe not even then)

trwolf
11/20/2004, 06:59 PM
i just found mine sucked into my power head, to bad i did not find it sooner.

ledford1
11/20/2004, 09:34 PM
How large is the Blue Tang? I had a BT in my 90. She eventually developed that same behavior - swimming fervently against the glass. Some time after that, she became more aggressive. She even killed my Coral Beauty. I believe it was due to territory. After reading information/experiences here, I read that BTs should be kept in tanks at least 6' long. I took the BT back to the lfs. The odd swimming behavior could be a sign that the BT needs for more space.

cuthbert80
11/20/2004, 10:28 PM
the BT is only about 3" (relatively small) and has now started picking at algae on the LR. Hopefully, he will be ok in a day or so ;)

thanks

a.fool.for.fish.
11/20/2004, 10:33 PM
well i think he was just getting settled and you shoud just give him some time

kenny77
11/20/2004, 10:53 PM
i love hippo. i had one and it had Dorys personality. she use to swim back and forward along the glass and afetr a while she just stop amd layed down on the sand. teh first time i was so frustade becasue i though she was dead. but then she just satrt swiming like crazy again. that was so funny. but the best part was when she was sleeping. she use to sleep facing down and with just the head covered between 2 little rock in the middle of the open space in the tank.

but she dye :(

Fenix
11/20/2004, 11:41 PM
yea the Dorrie fish is definitly not very smart. I have heard of them knocking down live rock onto themselfs once they get bigger.

I dont like them because when they get older, they get weird white spots on their face and it makes them look really ugly.

Ti
11/21/2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Fenix
yea the Dorrie fish is definitly not very smart. I have heard of them knocking down live rock onto themselfs once they get bigger.

I dont like them because when they get older, they get weird white spots on their face and it makes them look really ugly.
White spots?
I have yet to see this,
Can anyone show this to me?

Fenix
11/21/2004, 12:43 AM
I dont have any pics but I have seen two of them with the white spots. I guess its just a natural thing that happens as they get older.

CaliforniaDreamer
11/21/2004, 02:31 AM
I dont have any pics but I have seen two of them with the white spots. I guess its just a natural thing that happens as they get older.

Strange, My hippo has black spots on its face, never seen one with white spots. Are you talking about where the blue shows through the black spots?

tanker
11/21/2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by CaliforniaDreamer
Strange, My hippo has black spots on its face, never seen one with white spots. Are you talking about where the blue shows through the black spots?

I have 2 hippos and they both have the black spots.

White spots??:confused:

Fenix
11/21/2004, 08:06 PM
No on their face and head around the eyes they have white and a light yellow color of spots. It looks really ugly and it is the only part of the fish that has the spots.

Ti
11/22/2004, 01:00 AM
No on their face and head around the eyes they have white and a light yellow color of spots. It looks really ugly and it is the only part of the fish that has the spots.
I have yet to see this.
Black spots are natural.
Prehaps the one you saw was infected.

Dubbin1
11/22/2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Ti
White spots?
I have yet to see this,
Can anyone show this to me?

Heres mine with the "white spots"
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/55285Blue_Tang.JPG

ledford1
11/22/2004, 01:39 AM
Is that due to age or scars? One lfs, had an injured BT that it adopted when it's owner took poor care of it. Most of its face was covered in on large white spot - a big scar.

Ti
11/22/2004, 02:16 AM
strange, but as a side not, that blue tang looks pale to me.
It's FAR from the deep blue it should be.

Dubbin1
11/22/2004, 02:28 AM
They are not scars, I have seen many that look just like this.

The flash made him look pale. He is a very nice deep blue.

Dubbin1
11/22/2004, 02:31 AM
Here is a better picture of his color

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/tangangel.jpg

Ti
11/22/2004, 03:02 AM
humm still quite odd.
I;ve seen some adult blue tangs and none of them have such markings.
I think this problem is particular to yours.
ANyone else know?

Blown 346
11/22/2004, 05:10 AM
I have also seen the white area of the face in larger blue tangs. It almost looks like cracks or even wrinkles in their face. It just might come with age since the tang i saw this way was 3 years old.

chriscobb
11/22/2004, 07:50 AM
My friends BT also has the white spots on his face, but I think it was due to a bad (several ) ick outbreaks and it seemed to have scarred the fish's face and know has those white spots. They are better looking now, but resemble the white spots in the pic.

Dubbin1
11/22/2004, 01:00 PM
HERE (http://store1.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1816_13668737) is the picture of the hippo on marinedepot's website. As you can see it has the same white makings. I have seen many hippos that look just like mine so I know it is a normal thing with them.

tanker
11/22/2004, 02:01 PM
WOW, interesting. My 2 regals only about a year old (bought when they only about and inch long), almost 4 now. Will have to wait and see.

Fenix
11/22/2004, 02:02 PM
Yea see im not crazy! I think it is just a natural thing that happens to them as they get older. They get really ugly and have the white spots or the black spots which is just as bad. Either way I stay away form them just because they get ugly with age and are dumber than rocks.

tanker
11/22/2004, 02:14 PM
Yea see im not crazy! I think it is just a natural thing that happens to them as they get older. They get really ugly and have the white spots or the black spots which is just as bad. Either way I stay away form them just because they get ugly with age and are dumber than rocks.

Our mates do that too, but we don't avoid them. :(

JK :lol: