PDA

View Full Version : Is my LFS leading me in the right direction?

jcoopergd
11/20/2004, 06:04 PM
Hello all! I've been reading this site for about a month, and thought time id post some of my questions.

I've been considering getting a tank for a while now, 1+ years, and have done a decent amount of research. I took the plunge last Sunday, and got 40 gal long tank.

My LFS is a very saltwater oriented store, and we've always had great luck with our FW fish and supplies, along with all of our other animals and supplies from the store.

On our first trip, we purchased a 40 gal tank, stand and hood, an aquaclear 500, aqua clear 300, 200 w submersable heater, 20lbs of live sand, and some LR, and a 10k flourescent the LFS said would support mushrooms and polyps. (We plan on upgrading to MH in the near future when the tank is populated.)

We set the tank up immeadiatly, and filled the tank with water. Added salt, and heated the water to temp. Once water was stable and SG was good, i added the live sand, and LR.

I also broke some branch LR into small pieces to use in the filters in the bottom level.

Of the LR we put in, we put in some uncured rock (had a nice fishy smell to it), in order to introduce the ammonia spike to cycle the tank. (This was as the LSF suggested)

Now, one week later, we got our spike, and now ammonia is very close it not at 0. Or SG is still holding perfect, as is the Temp. Nitrites are still presnt, but dropping daily.

Now for the questions -

The LR that i have is Fiji LR. But i would love to get some TBS LR in the tank, as we still have plenty of room for more rock, and i would love some hitchikers. Is it a cardnal sin to mix flordia aquacultered rock with fiji rock?

Next question - I plan on having a reef tank, with only a few small fishes to complement. I have read that skimmers are not good for reef tanks, as they take out the metals of the water, and corals like the metals. Do i need a skimmer?

And, last question - the LFS said that the current produced by the 2 filters (oppsite ends, 1 long intake tube, one short intake) would be more than enough current for the tank. Does this sound right?

thanks in advance for any help!

j

lagarz
11/20/2004, 06:11 PM
The AC 500 and 300 should give you about 800GPH, which should be ok, the only problem is that all your current will be at the top of the tank.

You can mix live rock.

I would get more lighting before you put in any corals.

Just my .02

lagarz
11/20/2004, 06:12 PM
Also, I would get a skimmer. A Remora woudl be great on that tank.

Dakini
11/20/2004, 06:15 PM
Did your LFS set you up with an actinic light in addition to the 10K? Did they mention protein skimmers at all? I've found the addition of a skimmer and refugium (for nutrient export) to be very important in maintaining balance in my reef.

You might find this thread informative, I wish I had read it when I was just starting out.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249112&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Cearbhaill
11/20/2004, 06:15 PM
Welcome!!!

http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

To Reef Central!

It is a wonderful idea to mix in some TBS rock- nothing wrong with that all all. You may experience a mini-cycle- you may not. Just keep on testing and keep the levels decent to preserve the life on the TBS.

A couple of powerheads could have moved water around much more simply than 2 hang on filters- not sure what's going on with that.

And yes- I'd recommend a skimmer. They are quite helpful to reef tanks- you need the water as clean as possible for the corals.

Rendos
11/20/2004, 06:19 PM
I am not sure where you read that skimmers are not good for reef tanks or that corals like the metals in the water, but I for one have to strongly disagree with both of these statements. Skimmers are essential in my opinion especially in a reef tank. As for metals in water, most people with reef tanks buy RO/DI water to insure that the metals and other unwanted elements are removed from the water.

jcoopergd
11/20/2004, 06:32 PM
Wow!! 20 min, and 6 replies!! I really like this place!! :-)

As far as lights - We have now a CoraLife 10,000k 24inch High Intensity Purified Superdaylight Lamp - box says 360 degree ouput, 20 watt. flourescent.

I plan on getting a Refurb kit to put a MH system in our hood, and then use the excisting light box to supplement a different spectrum (im pretty sure strictly for viewing pleasure). I be doing the hood myself, with some fans etc, to keep the heat down.

As far as the skimmer, when during the inital set up should it go in? My LFS may have mentioned it, but I think now he might have said to not put it in until after our cycle. Does that sound right?

And one more question - When is the right time to put the cleaning crew (snails, shrimps etc) in?

J

Saltz Creep
11/20/2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by jcoopergd
Is it a cardinal sin to mix flordia aquacultered rock with fiji rock?

http://www.jackspets.com/images/LabelPics/Marine/114710-Banner-Cardinal.jpg Most cardinals don't seem to mind. :D

RayLovesNemos
11/20/2004, 08:36 PM
snails can go in after the cycle amd same with shrimps. when ever u lose nitrates and ammonia and ur water condition is right. i would wait a little longer for the shrimps to be sure but the snails and some hermits would be niche 1-2 weeks after cycle is over

welcome and happy reefing :)

jcoopergd
11/20/2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone!! I took water into my LFS to have it tested (just to confirm my tests), and im still waiting for the levels to drop a bit more.....I told myself from day one to take it nice and easy, and now im trying to rush it.....bad jeremy...bad.....heheh.... Ill post some pics up in a few weeks..:-)

j