PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feed their fish Naturose Astaxanthin?

Ti
11/20/2004, 03:59 PM
For freshwater cichlids people swear by it.
They say it REALLY brings out the colors because it contains the cartenoids for pigments in high amonuts.
Anyone tried this stuff on saltwater fish?

Jeremy Blaze
11/20/2004, 04:39 PM
Never heard of it. Check New Life Spectrum food. It might have it as they make a lot of food for Africans.

der Riff-Konig
11/20/2004, 04:52 PM
Check the FAQs on this web site. http://www.cyanotech.com/html/asta/natu/naturose.html

Ti
11/20/2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Never heard of it. Check New Life Spectrum food. It might have it as they make a lot of food for Africans.
I already use NLS.
I come from a fresh water african cichlid background, NLS was one of our top used staple foods becase it gave our cichlids great results, which is why I have tired using NLS for salt.
So far the NLS is not as amazing in salt as it has been in fresh.
And the NLS marine forumla is the EXACT same as the cichlid forumla in case you wonder.

Ti
11/20/2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by der Riff-Konig
Check the FAQs on this web site. http://www.cyanotech.com/html/asta/natu/naturose.html
Way ahead of you, I already visited that site before I posted.
I'm asking if anyone on this board has had any experience using this stuff on their salt water fish.
I've only seen many raves about it used for fresh water cichlids, but have yet to see anyone rave about it in marine fish.
I only ask cause these things don't really transfer over from fresh to salt.
Like NLS, Awesome for the cichlids, but so far it has not been AS awesome for my marine fish. (color wise)

MrZ
11/21/2004, 01:08 AM
Depends on what you are feeding, but I know at least some of the frozen foods come with astaxanthin added. My clowns really love Frozen Marine Cuisine and not sure if it is because of genetics or diet but they are a really nice deep dark orange compared to other ocellaris clowns I've seen. No cause - effect relationship there but if it works for freshwater fish I can't see how it would work differently for salt.

Ti
11/21/2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MrZ
Depends on what you are feeding, but I know at least some of the frozen foods come with astaxanthin added. My clowns really love Frozen Marine Cuisine and not sure if it is because of genetics or diet but they are a really nice deep dark orange compared to other ocellaris clowns I've seen. No cause - effect relationship there but if it works for freshwater fish I can't see how it would work differently for salt.
WEll after a bit of reseach and conversation with people who use the stuff on fresh water.
The levels of astax in foods is very low, like 200-300 ppm
Where this stuff will dose it up to 1400 ppm.
Which is why it has made AMAZING color differences in their freshwater fish..
I take it nobody on this board has tried it, so I guess I'll just order some anyways and try it.