PDA

View Full Version : Some questions, please help

LiteEmUpGood
11/20/2004, 03:46 PM
If i want to use a sump i need to have a pre drilled or sump ready tank? One that i can put the overflow on top? Which website has the best selction of tank sizes. Im looking for something long and not to tall. It seems that way the fish will have more room to swim. How do i figure out how to hook up all the equipment?
whats a list of things i need to get for a lets say 75 gallon tank with a sump? I dont want to miss anything, thanks

Maxxumless
11/20/2004, 03:58 PM
Well, you are off to a great start asking questions here :)

Well, there are tanks that are already pre drilled and they are called RR or Reef Ready tanks. Usually they do not come with much in the way of plumbing, just an internal overflow box and standpipes. From there you are on you own. In which case you could go on over to the DIY forum and ask people how they plum their setups and try to figure out what will work best for you. The two biggest questions are flow rates and noise. The other type of overflow is a hang on type and they are usually pretty reliable if you set them up right. These hang on types are probably the most numerous as well. RR tanks are more expensive but are easier to deal with and the hang on types are cheaper and easier to outfit tanks that are not already drilled.

As far as cost, your LFS (local fish store) will probably have better prices on aquariums than you would find on online stores. You could try going to the selling forum here on RC to see if anyone is selling their setups near your area. That would of course be the most cost effective way of going.

There is no simple or short answer to your questions and opinions will very. The first thing you should probably concern yourself is with reading up on the hobby. It is not a cheap endeavor so go slow and do your homework. It is almost always better to go bigger; get the largest tank you can afford, get a skimmer rated a little higher than your total tank capacity, and go as large as your stand can handle with a sump/refugium.

Good luck.