PDA

View Full Version : Hang on Protein Skimmer?

Jim Corey
11/20/2004, 01:59 PM
I am going to buy a hang on skimmer for my 75gal tank, but want to have one that will eventually handle a bigger tank (just trying to think ahead). I keep reading about a bunch of them. It seems to me that one of the best ones is the Aqua C Remora Pro. Can anyone verify that?

dew9000
11/20/2004, 02:09 PM
Thats what I have heard and am planning on buying one too.

irvin3
11/20/2004, 02:17 PM
turbofloter 1000. will handle up to 250gallons

Maxxumless
11/20/2004, 03:47 PM
If you plan on upgrading in the near future why not start thinking about a sump? There is just no down side to it and the skimmer choices will expand considerably along with it. In which case if you did go with a sump I would recommend the ASM line of skimmers. However if you are dead set on a hang on then either the remora pro or Turboflotor Multi would be your best choices. The Multi is rated for 250g however I would not place it on a tank of more than 125g.

JENnKerry
11/20/2004, 04:32 PM
I have an Acua C Remora Pro with a mag 5 pump for my 125.

stlouisguy
11/20/2004, 05:07 PM
Turbofloater 1000 MULTI is the way to go. I have a 175 and it hangs on my sump hidden away and I love it. Very easy to set up, no adjustment needed and it skimmed two full canisters the first day

yessongs
11/20/2004, 05:16 PM
I have the Remora, great skimmer.
A lot of people are very happy with this http://deltecusa.us/Protein_Skimmers/_info_MCE600.html

jrozek
11/20/2004, 05:32 PM
What ever you do don't buy a SeaClone. It'll leak, won't skim and you'll just end up using the pump for water circualtion.

drock59
11/20/2004, 05:52 PM
I would like to suggest you add a sump to your system and get a "monster" skimmer like an ASM, ER, PM, etc, etc. Moreover, i do realize there are a lot of people out there who like their aqua C remora's but from my experience they are not good. Ive had a lot of skimmers and the Aqua C is one step up from the old sea clone. Do some research, but i can recomend nothing less than a sump and a ER skimmer. SO simple and SO effective.

The Grim Reefer
11/20/2004, 11:41 PM
I have a Remora and have excellent luck with it as do most other people. It ain't a Euroreef but if you don't have a sump they are about impossible to beat.

jjmg
11/21/2004, 12:01 AM
I run the regular Remora with the MJ1200 on my 56 and it is at best a so-so skimmer. I don't know if the Pro model is that much better, but do your research before buying something that isn't going to do the job. Lots of people on here sing the praises for the Remora and I just don't see it myself.

drock59
11/21/2004, 12:04 AM
grim reefer, how hard is it to add a sump? It seems to me that this is one of the easiest additons to a reef tank. IT AINT a EuRO REEF, is right. Get a used tank for a sump and spend the money on the ER>

drock59
11/21/2004, 12:10 AM
morevoer, i think a lot of people post that an aqua c remora is grea skimmer after a sea clone or something comparitble. The ER's and Pm's of the world are soooooo much better than these its not funny. YOu cannot even compare them.

The Grim Reefer
11/21/2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by drock59
grim reefer, how hard is it to add a sump? It seems to me that this is one of the easiest additons to a reef tank. IT AINT a EuRO REEF, is right. Get a used tank for a sump and spend the money on the ER>

People don't have sumps for a lot of different reasons having nothing do do with how easy or hard it is to add one. I have a sump and run a HOB skimmer. After about 11 months my Nitrates are just barely detectable. I have NO problem with the Remora. I am sure a ER would do just as good but unfortunatly it wouldn't fit in my stand. As long as I am running a pump on the skimmer it is nice to have the additional flow in the tank where it does some good instead of the sump.

The Grim Reefer
11/21/2004, 12:25 AM
And Labs are not nearly as good as Beagles!!!!! :D

jjmg
11/21/2004, 12:32 AM
Although I disagree on the Remora, I'm fond of beagles myself. I hope the remora isn't the best HOB skimmer out there, cause I'm not that impressed. I have a dual BakPak that I run only one pump on that kicks the remoras butt even when I switch tanks. Maybe I got a defective remora.

I have heard good things about the turbofloater though. Just do your reseach before you buy then buy what you think is best, not what we say is best.

drock59
11/21/2004, 12:33 AM
oh please dont get me started. mY mother just got a beagle and it has alll kinds of problems! :)
honestly though, have you ever had a better skimmer than an aqua C?
For me the ER's are sooooo simple.

The Grim Reefer
11/21/2004, 12:45 AM
Beagles are like pigs. They are smart and stubborn enough to be a total pain in the _ _ _ but still dumb enough not to realize the down side of screwing up. I only wished they were as reliable as my Remora:)

V4m8ION
11/21/2004, 06:27 AM
I vote that you get the Remora if you go HOB. I have not had any issues with it.

joeychitwood
11/21/2004, 07:33 AM
One of the best pieces of reef equipment I've ever purchased is the AquaC Remora Pro skimmer. I upgraded the pump with a Mag 5. This combo skims efficiently and thoroughly, and in my tank, it worked the second I turned it on.

JENnKerry
11/21/2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
People don't have sumps for a lot of different reasons having nothing do do with how easy or hard it is to add one.

Exactly. We dont have one. Our nitrates have remained at 0 since April. I have no intent on adding a sump either. Most people add sumps for the extra water volume which adds to stability. Like I said, our nitrates have been at 0 since April. It doesn't get much more stable than that. Some people add them to hide their equipment. I'm drawn in by the beauty of our tank that I dont even notice the skimmer tube or heater. If it aint broke, why fix it? Believe me, I know about all the benefits with running a sump, it just isn't for everyone.

yessongs
11/21/2004, 10:55 AM
I use the remora on my fuge. Benefits of a sump.
More water volume.
Evaporation effects the sump, the water level is always the same in the main tank.
Nothing is effected by water changes.
PhosBan reactor, heater, skimmer, carbon & sometimes a HOT filter with a poly filter are all hidden.
Lots of oxygen enters through the sump.
A place to add calcium, alkalinity.
Fans over the sump keep tank cool in the summer.
Lots of pods.
Add top off water.

drock59
11/21/2004, 11:05 AM
not to mention that you get stuff out of the main, "display" tank and put it down below where it is not seen and only sometimes heard.
I keep hearing people say they have had " no problems" with their remora's. That still doesnt mean it is a good skimmer. Just because somehting isnt a peice of crap doesnt make it wonderful.

Another benifit of the sump is the elimination of those pesky microbubbles that drive me nuts and that hte remora produces in great numbers.

yessongs
11/21/2004, 11:21 AM
We understand ER & PM are better skimmers then the remora. Keep in mind the thread was about hang on skimmers, not which is the best skimmer.

JENnKerry
11/21/2004, 12:33 PM

I keep hearing people say they have had " no problems" with their remora's. That still doesnt mean it is a good skimmer.

This is just your opinion. You use whatever works best for you. I have a hang on Prism on my 55. Are you going to bash that as well? Like I said, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

joeychitwood
11/21/2004, 04:30 PM
I keep hearing people say they have had " no problems" with their remora's. That still doesnt mean it is a good skimmer. Just because somehting isnt a peice of crap doesnt make it wonderful.

Another benifit of the sump is the elimination of those pesky microbubbles that drive me nuts and that hte remora produces in great numbers. The fact that the Remora is a GREAT skimmer makes it "wonderful." Also, I've never had a single micro-bubble with my Remora Pro.

dlancz
11/21/2004, 05:31 PM
I have to say that I like the sump method myself, and I had to have a stand custom designed to fit my ER 8-3 under the tank..... No one is going to convince me that a HOB skimmer is better. With that said, no one is going to convince someone that does not want a sump to put one in and get a ER skimmer...... It seems counter productive to waste time telling someone to install a sump when they have no urge to do so..... While I love my ER and would tell anyone with a sump to get one, that doesn't really matter here..... I'm sure that everyone has done the research and if after looking into it they decide that they do not want a sump, you're never gonna change their mind......

Wish I could give weigh in on a HOBs, but I've never used one.....