PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates?

jgmccreary
11/20/2004, 12:55 PM
I have a 12g nano that had compleated its cycle about a week ago however I just tested my water and everything was great except my Nitrates they are about 10ppm. Whys is this what should I do? I just did a water change lastnight... Thanks

Cearbhaill
11/20/2004, 01:48 PM
Do another (perhaps larger) water change.

Are you feeding too much?
Skimming aggressively?
Something die?
Do you have any filter sponges or other media that might need changing?
How old is the setup?

More info!!

10ppm is much too high for a reef, but is fine for a fish only tank. What do you plan on keeping?

jgmccreary
11/20/2004, 03:20 PM
ok tanks is only about 5 weeks old and is set up as a reef... I have a clean up crew of 10 hermits and 2 snails and one small lawnmower blenny. I have only tired to feed the blenny once with one small algae wafer. I do still have the sponge filters in place and did take them out and cleaned them the other day. They where really dirty and mixed the take up with junk but has now settled. I was thinking this might have been what made the nitrates go up?

tanker
11/20/2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by jgmccreary
I do still have the sponge filters in place and did take them out and cleaned them the other day. They where really dirty and mixed the take up with junk but has now settled. I was thinking this might have been what made the nitrates go up?

You probably right.