PDA

View Full Version : Easy Corals

dew9000
11/20/2004, 12:42 PM
I found this list on about.com of easy or less demanding
corals.

Actinodiscus
Common Names:
Mushrooms, Mushroom Coral, Mushroom Anemones and Disc Anemones.
Cladiella
Common Names:
Finger Leather Coral and Colt Coral.
Pachyclavularia
Common Names:
Star Polyps, Green Star Polyps and Daisy Polyps.
Palythoa
Common Names:
Sea Mat and Button Polyps.
Protopalythoa
Common Names:
Sea Mat and Button Polyps.
Sarcophyton
Common Names:
Toadstool Coral, Leather Coral, Mushroom Leather Coral and Trough Coral.
Zoanthus
Common Names:
Zoanthid, Sea Mat and Button Polyps.
Some Hard (SPS & LPS) Corals are less demanding, requiring less light and/or lower water quality, making them easier to keep for the novice aquarists.
Montipora
Common Names:
Velvet Coral, Velvet Finger Coral and Velvet Branch Coral.
Pavona
Common Names:
Cactus Coral, Lettuce Coral, Star Column Coral, Leaf Coral and Bark Cloth Coral.
Siderastrea
Common Names:
Starlet Coral, Lesser Starlet Coral and Pink Starlet Coral.

The question is, does anybody disagree with this list in any way and also would all of these work for a 55g with 260 watt PC lighting. I have worked this out to be about 5.5 watts or a little more per gallon when rock and sand are taken into consideration. Would any of these corals not be able to survive? I am more worried about the LPS and SPS than the softies and shrooms. Any advice is apprecitated. Thanks

tanker
11/20/2004, 12:57 PM
Looks OK to me. Do not know what a siderastrea is though. All others are good beginer corals.

Cearbhaill
11/20/2004, 01:46 PM
I would not necessarily put Pavona in that category- I have one way up high under T-5's and it is slow going. Also some species of Sarcophyton can be very light demanding.
And no way can you put all species of Montiporas in one big category.

I would suggest that you research every coral you buy under both genus and species name- there can be really big differences.

dew9000
11/20/2004, 01:57 PM
Ok, thanks for the input.