PDA

View Full Version : metal hide reflectors

TropTrea
11/18/2004, 11:37 PM
I'm trying to buld new reflectors for my metal hide lights. The present reflectors are white and not extremly effecient.

I'm looking for polished alumnium or a simular shinny material to use as a reflector. Search the web these last few days did not find anything. So I';m looking for suggestions on what I can use and possoble sources.

I do have access to metal shears and benders so working with raw sheet goods is a posibility.

Dennis

evolution
11/19/2004, 12:08 AM
Marine Depot (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CP5753)

TropTrea
11/19/2004, 03:26 PM
Yes I looked at the pre made ones. If you read it is 13" wide. I basicly have an area 15" wide to work with and not only need to get the MH in but also compacts for my atinics. I could turn around and get a complet new premade set up but the cost is simply out of my budget at this time.

I had picked up a nice plan for my future set up in which I basicly have everything except the reflector material. It should cost a lot less considering most of items I already have.

Dennis

EnderG60
11/19/2004, 05:24 PM
get the wider one and cut the center part out of it and then rivet the remaining parts back together

AZDesertRat
11/19/2004, 07:30 PM
Look at the PFO parallel reflectors at www.customaquatic.com . They are designed with a section on each side for the PCs, T5s or VHOs. I used 2 of the 24" long ones over my 60" tank which left about 4" on each end and another 4" gap in the middle. I mounted 2x 250w MH and 2x140w VHOs in them.

Totlxtc
11/19/2004, 11:28 PM
Find a local sheetmetal shop and pick up some regular mill aluminum. Then take some Mother's Mag and Aluminum Wheel Polish and have at it. Not as mirrored as the spectral but not bad either. Here is one i polished for my DIY pendant.

http://images7.fotki.com/v126/photos/4/47209/256678/Pendantse1-vi.jpg

evolution
11/20/2004, 10:41 PM
You can fit two pc actinics in a spider reflector though.

Just have the halide in the middle and pop rivet the actinic holders on one of the angled sections. It works great! I did it on mine withno regrets.