PDA

View Full Version : H. crispa or H. malu

phender
11/18/2004, 06:32 PM
This has been a question puzzling me for many years. For a while I didn't think there was any difference. Pictures in books were very confusing(I think now it was because the book were wrong). It has been my opinion that almost all the "sebae" anemones imported into the U.S. are H. crispa, usually in some state of decline. I still think that is true, but at least I think I am getting a better understanding of what makes H. malu different.

I think this anemone is H. malu. Please tell me what you think and why.
BTW, please don't give me quotes from the Fautin/Allen or Wilkerson books.

http://shop.1asecure.com/seaquarium/prodpics/30699_d.jpg

MarinaP
11/18/2004, 06:53 PM
Is this one from Adam? :) Can you show us the column? Also, how big is it?

phender
11/18/2004, 07:07 PM
Sorry Marina,
I forgot to say this isn't my anemone. The picture is from the cquarium website. Is that Adam?
But since you asked, what would the column be able to tell you? Have you seen the difference between the columns with your own eyes?

The reason I ask is, for years I went though the bins of haddoni at the L.A. wholsalers looking at columns and colors of spots to see if I could discover a mertens mixed in there. I would think, well those spots are kind of magenta or that column looks a little weaker or those tentacles have a slightly different shape. But when I actually saw a Merten's carpet there was absolutely no doubt. I can now spot a Merten's a mile away.

Is there an obvious difference between the column of crispa and malu?

benonmsn
11/18/2004, 07:08 PM
malu, crispa tends to have longer tentacles, unless urs is starving and ingesting them, which is possible. from that angle, at that second, he doesnt look happy.

phender
11/18/2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by benonmsn
malu, crispa tends to have longer tentacles, unless urs is starving and ingesting them, which is possible. from that angle, at that second, he doesnt look happy.

This is my point. Healthy crispas are easy to ID. Whats the differnce between a healthy malu and a crispa that is in decline. BTW, it is not my anemone, it is just a picture from a website, so I can't get anymore pictures at different angles, etc.