PDA

View Full Version : Clam Help and Problem

Ltspd
11/21/2001, 08:51 PM
My New Deresa clam came in with a very small bit of aiptasia on the side of its shell. I injected it with the calicium part of a 2 part additive as I do all the aiptasia. This took care of that one. Now, I have a very, very small one that has decided to grow right on top of the shell where the mantle comes over it. The clam's mantle is withdrawn at that area.

My question is how do I kill this one? Can I inject it? If I do will that hurt the clam? It is right on the top of the shell in the new growth area of the clam.

TonyHNYC
11/21/2001, 09:27 PM
I would just try to scratch out the apstasia and not inject anything. What may be more effective in killing apstasia is using concentrated kalk...Becuase it is so close to the mantle, you should avoid using any chemicals... Injecting the calicum solution probably broke it up into peice and may spread elsewhere

kevinpo
11/21/2001, 09:33 PM
A health derasa will close it's shell very tightly when removed from the water. Pick it up and use your fingernail or stiff brush to remove the anemone. The shell should be smooth and easy to see if you have removed all of it.

Regards,
Kevin

Ltspd
11/21/2001, 10:02 PM
So it is ok to remove them from the water and expose them to air? I have not, and was under the impression that was a bad thing to do.

TonyHNYC, what is the diffrence in Kalk and Calc solution. Both are strong chemicals. ???

67muscle
11/21/2001, 10:09 PM
When you put the clam back in the water just kinda shake it around a little so the air in it gets out. Air in em isn't a good thing I'd imagine but as long as it doesn't sit in there for a long time I don't see a problem.

golfish
11/21/2001, 10:40 PM
Paul,
I sent a 6" Derasa to Texas a few years ago. When it arrived it was bone dry. Some how all the water leaked out. (I think they tore the box apart to see what was inside) It must have been like that for 6+ hours. The clam opened up a few minutes after being put in the tank......I bet they could live for days out of the water.

TonyHNYC
11/21/2001, 11:07 PM
hi!
The calcium solution from your 2 part additive is probably calcium chloride concentrated...Kalk is calcium hydroxide which has a higher pH level and more lethal to the apstasia..Also, what is nice about Kalk is that you can cover the entire apstasia with it since it is not too soluble to ensure that you kill it completely - cuz if you don't, pieces of this thing can be generate a new apstasia on its on...hope this helps!
Tony

jim norris
11/22/2001, 08:22 AM
Hello,
Do not worry about removing your clam from the water---ditto---when putting them back in, shake it around so air bubbles are released. Commercial clam growers remove clams from the water for 2 to 3 hours and let them sit out in the sun in order to sexually stimulate them and then put them back into their tanks. Also I would recommend to scratch it off also because of the location.
Jim

kevinpo
11/22/2001, 08:43 AM
Wild T. sp. can sit exposed on the reef flat for 3-4 hours until the tide returns and this can be in the blazing sun. I have 5-6 lb. derasa and I just picked it up from one tank and carried it to the other room where I have my new tank it opened within min.

Kevin

crab0000
11/22/2001, 11:54 AM
I had a huge apstasia on the side of my deresa. I just removed the clam from the tank and used a razor blade to scrape it off. It has been about a year with no sign of the apstasia and the clam is in great condition.

Ltspd
11/22/2001, 12:25 PM
Well either a peppermint shrimp took care of it or the clam covered it up. Today there is no sign of it. I had plans to pull the clam up to the top of the tank or even out and scrape it off. If it comes back into view no that the lights are on for the day I will get rid of it.

Thanks for the help

Ltspd
11/22/2001, 12:39 PM
Here is a picture of it this morning. No Aiptaisa so far today. It was on the lower right of the clam causing the mantle to recede.

kevinpo
11/22/2001, 01:32 PM
Ltspd,
That's a beauty! It looks healthy. They grow pretty fast at first. Mine has slowed down now that it's 10-11".

Kevin