PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear/fluval surface skimmer as overflow alternative?

Spracklcat
11/17/2004, 08:35 PM
Right now I'm running a 29g with a Remora HOB, no sump. I added an aquaclear surface skimmer to the Maxijet intake to take water from the surface as well as the middle of the tank (see diagram) which works great.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/71074aquaclearskimm.jpg

My question is this: instead of adding an overflow box, could I just use this as an overflow once siphon is established (ie run a flexible tube up and over the edge fo the tank from this surface skimmer down into the sump, and then do the sump as usual with return pump, and skimmer as a separate entity in the sump). Would that work? Has anyone done this? It SEEMS like a good idea, smaller than an overflow box, but I don't know if it will maintain flow. Help?

Thanks

Johnnyfishkiller
11/18/2004, 12:47 AM
It would work right up until the power went off. Then it would drain your tank down to the level of flex tubing where it joins the overflow. It's unlikely that your sump can handle the water volume, and just as unlikely that your fish and corals would like not having much water in the tank. Once the water got down to that level the siphon would break and flow would stop. When power came back on, the siphon would not restart (unless I missed something in your description) and all the water would pump out of the sump into the tank, flooding the tank.

not a good idea IMO

Spracklcat
11/18/2004, 06:53 AM
Thanks so much for saving me a big mess. Time to look for an overflow box--I've heard mixed reviews of the CPR, so I'll do a little more reading...