PDA

View Full Version : I've been told to feed my tang greens........what kind and where do I find it?

stlouisguy
11/17/2004, 10:51 AM
I have a yellow tang, a blue tang, a vamingi tang and a yellow eyed tang. What greens should I be feeding them?

Thanks

der_wille_zur_macht
11/17/2004, 11:02 AM
Go to a big grocery store with an asian foods section and buy dried nori seaweed. Just be sure to get plain stuff, not flavored in any way and you're all set.

Get one of those veggi-clips from an LFS and feed a small piece each day.

mickyfin
11/17/2004, 11:04 AM
Lifted from liveaquaria:
(http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=330)

Although Tangs will eat meaty foods along with the other fish in the aquarium, it is important that they are offered plenty of marine based seaweed and algae. This will strengthen their immune system, reduce aggression and improve their overall health. Offer dried seaweed tied to a rock or use a lettuce clip, and feed at least 3 times per week. Sea Veggies, Seaweed Salad and Ocean Nutrition are all ideal products and are very easy to use.

That being said, best to research first then buy so you know what you're getting into. Just a little friendly advice.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/17/2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by mickyfin
Sea Veggies, Seaweed Salad and Ocean Nutrition are all ideal products

They're also all, essentially, the same thing as dried nori but with a 10x or so price markup. ;)

stlouisguy
11/17/2004, 11:09 AM
As the fish are only in the tank about 2 weeks and have been grazing on the algea, and now that almost all gone, is why Im posting for the best thing to feed them. Advise is always welcome. Comments such as your last one Mickyfin arent.

JNG567
11/17/2004, 11:22 AM
what did he say? it is good advice

mickyfin
11/17/2004, 11:25 AM
Appreciated or not, its sound advice my friend. I'm speaking from experience. Many people learn it the hard way.

When you solicit advice, you're not always going to get advice that you want to hear, or even advice that's correct. You may want to keep that in mind when you flame - I'm not the one who added four tangs into a tank at the same time without finding out what they eat.

A quick google search on any of the animals you mentioned above yielded results for me. If I was going to buy a particular dog breed, I would do the same.

Don't overlook a similar step with fish just because they live in water :)

stlouisguy
11/17/2004, 11:33 AM
I guess I shoul have worded it better. I know to feed then greens didnt know what common types are out there so I can save money.

And your comment could have been sent in a PM just as easy. As someone new to Saltwater sometimes its hard to ask questions because people will flame. If they arent worded just perfect I guess that allows your to feel justified in commenting on my preperation. If I didnt know to feed them greens, then your comment would have been understandable.

no biggie. Life moves on.

Thanks for the sterring toward the seaweed in the grocery store. Exactly what I was looking for

GailKaitschuck
11/17/2004, 11:35 AM
If a local Asian/Korean grocery store or section in your local grocery store is not available, another choice...

www.koamart.com which is an online Korean and Asian store. Their "Parae non-seasoned seaweed for suishi" is $2.99 for a 50 sheet bag. Shipping to Georgia (where I live) is $5.51.

Fifty sheets lasts a long time...but the product stores well in the fruit/vegie section of the refrigerator. We also run it through the blender and mix it with seafood, then freeze it for general feeding for all the fish.

Gail

DgenR8
11/17/2004, 11:52 AM
Just to clarify something here, what mickyfin said did not appear to be inflamatory at all to me. The reason for not putting it in a PM, is that there are countless other people new to this hobby that can benefit from someone telling them that research before purchase is invaluable.
I can't count how many people come to this board and basically say that they haven't the slightest idea how to care for an animal they have already purchased. Unfortunately, I could almost count on one hand how many post for information before they buy (okay, a slight exaggeration).
stlouisguy, try to understand that you are neither the first or last person that has/will ask for information on animals you already own, but if you learn from this thread to ask before making future purchases, then a difference has been made for the better, and that's what we're all here for. Don't take it as a negative, it was not meant that way.

stlouisguy
11/17/2004, 11:58 AM
Dgenr8, that is a great picture.