PDA

View Full Version : CHECK OUT DIY stand/hood AGA120RR

aaronk
11/20/2001, 01:12 PM
Well after months of hard work [weekends] the stand and hood are done!!!

We quadruple polyE coated it w/ a hi gloss.
We made the stand extra wide to fit my AGA 55 gallon sump tank.
the written details on the site are just a start.
soon ill be moving the livestock over!!!
i will put pic of the hood and the interior as i move along.
and i will post pics of my current tank before i break it down.

next is the spray bar and some southdown i have 4 bags!!!
i used velcro and non affixed trim pieces to cover the black plastic trim around the tank and they work like a charm!!!
ill put black matt material on the back glass, and a couple pvc pipe ledges w/ eggcrate ect...

http://www.on2k.com/buddahaquarium/images/fish/120/total_120.jpg

http://www.on2k.com/buddahaquarium/

Snailman
11/20/2001, 09:55 PM
Nice job. You will be happier with a Stockman stand pipe in place of the AGA corner box plumbing rig and the Stockman costs a lot less. :)

aaronk
11/20/2001, 11:55 PM
THANKS!
i will be bringing over the stockmans i have on my current set up.
they make alot less noise thats for sure.
i will also be fixing the staining on the left front door of the stand.
lets see.......
cut holes and mount the fans in the canopy
install handles on the top and the door of the hood
mount my halides and vho's
hmmmm and a milllion other things LOL

Playfair
11/21/2001, 08:57 AM
Looks really great!

One comment, assuming you posted for comments :) ...

Your two front doors... You do plan to put all the fixins' in the cabinet, right? Well, those doors are too small! You will spend a lot of time in the sump, and unless those look way to restricting. It would be easier to fix it now then when set up. Just my .02

There are tons of things to consider when building a tank, it's impossible to address all of them in a single shot!

Aquariust
11/22/2001, 12:16 AM
"hmmmm and a milllion other things LOL"

I know what you mean:) Stand and hood look great! Although, I see Playfair's point on how small the doors are.

"There are tons of things to consider when building a tank, it's impossible to address all of them in a single shot!"

David, don't say that, that's what I was hoping for:)

aaronk
11/22/2001, 12:47 PM
THANKS AGAIN GUYS FOR THE COMMENTS!!!!
So far the doors are the only thing i would change @ this point.
we bought them premade [Uncle grabbed'em] and the stand is 98% complete, beside the overflow covers and front corner trim.

the one feature not mentioned about the stand is that the left side of the stand comes completly off, for better access and for putting the huge sump in. itll also give me access to the skimmer!
i will have the typical stuff down there: the sump, skimmer, topoff water container and scrapers, dry food and suppliments.....
the MH ballast will go next to the stand and the VHO/NO ballast will go on the hood in the back.
As far as getting in there and working goes....
i wont know how good/bad it is untill its full [itll be tight]
ive been workin in there a bit [just startin] its a squez but i can still move around abit.. i just have to arch my back to work on the bulkheads and that hurts after awile.
after looking at the stand for awile i think the large front panel of oak is really stunning, now having large matching doors would certainly be super nice!!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmm
i really just want to get it running as fast as possible..of course ill go only as fast as my transfer of animals will allow.
im gonna bring there water too and that a whole other thing~~~~sigh~~~~~ [transferring tanks that is]
the thing i need to do now is start welding some pvc and drilling some holes in pvc..
and finish the hood
thatll be tough becuse i need to use the lights up till the move and then takem over and install them in my new hood same night.... and get that all running sigh sighsigh.. lots of work ahead guys watch out!!!!

oh and last but not least i need too
BABYPROOF THE STAND AND EVENTUALLY THE HOOD
i know that my son at some point will attempt to get in there..
i would if i was him. LOL
i just now took the side off and crawled inside and sat in there.... its really big inside hehehehe ill post images later

and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

:D

Playfair
11/22/2001, 11:08 PM
Aquariust- lol I didn't mean it like "you will screw it up nomatter what", I meant 'keep somewhat flexible in design, as some things are bound to change"

aaronk- As long as you are thinking about it, that's all we're here to help with... Oh, don't worry too much about accessing the bulkheads, as you should never need to touch them again!

baaabby
11/23/2001, 06:40 PM
what if you left the doors as they are, and added extra doors on both ends?

I know that sometimes I wish I had doors on the ends of the stands.