PDA

View Full Version : Removing algae from yellow finger gorginian

james007
11/13/2004, 01:56 AM
My gf recently bought a yellow finger gorgonian for our 120gal reef tank. The polyps did not come out at first, and a couple of days after putting it in the tank, I scraped some red hair algae from the glass at the rear of the tank. This caused the algae to float around and some deposited on the gorgonian and began to grow. The polyps would not come out on the two branches where the algae was growing. Direct water current from a powerhead did not remove it and so today i decided to use my fingers to gently massage its branches until the algae was gone. This seems to have worked and now all the beautiful polyps come out. My only concern is that in all my searching, i've never read any solution to this problem besides blowing water on it to remove the algae.

I've only done this once and don't want to continue if it's damaging to the coral. Is this method aceptable?

mickey57
11/13/2004, 08:29 AM
....That's exactly where I ended up.I have been doing that for 6 months now.No ill effect that I can notice to the coral,but it is a PIA;)
...........Mickey

luger
11/13/2004, 11:40 AM
thats what you will need to do.just dont rub to hard or you can rub it into particles.