PDA

View Full Version : Euroreef vs. Myreef

Shooter9er
11/12/2004, 10:04 PM
I am about to purchase a skimmer for my new tank and really would like to continue using euroreef since I am very happy with my current one. I just have a hard time spending almost $1000 for one when I can get a Myreef for about half the price. Is the euroreef really that much better than the Myreef.

TIA

Kyle

Ereefic
11/12/2004, 10:24 PM
Just gotta open a can of worms, don't you!!!! :)

I run MRC skimmers and like them very much. They skim like crazy!! They are very well built and Andy provides great customer service.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either of those.

Now, where did I put my battle gear................:)

joefish
11/12/2004, 10:32 PM
Having owned both , I prefer a MRC . While euro-reef is a great skimmer , I like the control of a becket better . Also for me I had a problem with the air intake clogging with the ER .

Every system is different , Both are great skimmers .

I think it's more of which ever tweeks your fancy thing .

jeffberg
11/12/2004, 10:35 PM
I have an mr2 and genx pump I got from Andy. Any issues I had Andy worked me thru them and most of them were due to my ignorance. He replied to everyone of my emails within 24 hours of being sent. His equipment is pretty impressive looking especially for going under a cabinet and will rarely get seen.

skylsdale
11/13/2004, 12:16 AM
I did a TON of reading of old threads a couple months ago regarding the same decision...and just placed an order for a MyReef model. In all of the threads I read, there was only one person who did not like their MyReef or had a problem that Andy didn't fix or help with right away (and that was because he never even tried to contact Andy about it).

I haven't yet received the skimmer and Ca reactor I ordered, but I have no doubts they are going to be of great quality--and I know that if I have any problems whatsoever, I can easily get ahold of Andy (he was great at answering all my prep questions before I even ordered).

Daveyboi
11/13/2004, 01:03 AM
I had both and IMHO I would pick MyReefCreation.............

:D
Dave

Ritten
11/13/2004, 05:00 AM
Can you give me a web site for MRC. Thanks.

wasp
11/13/2004, 05:28 AM
http://www.myreefcreations.com/

Well, I'm surprised to see a thread like this without a whole bunch of euroreef club vigilantes jumping in and shooting everybody!
Maybe after all the initial hoopla people realising euroreef not the only skimmer :lol:
By the way, doing some resaerch as i'm about to get a skimmer for my frag tank, I found a post by a guy who said he had both a euroreef and a aqua medic together in his sump, and the aquamedic always pulled more. Go figure.

Gerard Alba
11/13/2004, 08:17 AM
MR-2 $290 How good is this skimmer? for a 300gal?
What goes on inside the black box?
Is this good with only one inyector?

joefish
11/13/2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Gerard Alba
MR-2 $290 How good is this skimmer?
very good
for a 300gal?
It depends on your set up and live stock , why don't you call them and ask what they think . They are very helpfull.

What goes on inside the black box?
BUBBLES ;)
Is this good with only one inyector?

heedicus
11/13/2004, 10:35 AM
I have used both a ER and a MRC,
they are both awesome, for larger systems I tend to lean towards the mrc because of cost and expandablilty (adding more becketts). The only downer is you need a larger pressure rated pump, which tends to add a bit more noise and increases power consumption.
on the ER side, they are a bit smaller and designed to go in sump. With the smaller pumps using the needlewheel they are also very efficient. They are a bit quieter and use less power and space.

on my new 180 I am running a MRC MR-3 with a genx 55pc pump and absolutely love it.
on my old 125 I ran a ER 8-1 and absolutly loved it, but wanted to try something new with the new tank.
hope that helps
tren

Shooter9er
11/13/2004, 11:28 AM
thanks for all of the input! I think after hearing this and staring at the prices a little longer I am going to go with the MRC. I am going to have about 300gal for the total system. Now I just have to decide which MRC and pump to get as this will be a in sump setup. I plan on getting my calc reactor from them as well, ohh the temptations of going big!

Thanks,

Kyle

joefish
11/13/2004, 12:20 PM
Good Luck , It sounds like good expensive fun !!!:lol:

RGibson
11/13/2004, 12:29 PM
Used a Iwaki MD55RLT pump for the skimmer MR3 and you will need only one beckett. For calcium reactor used a GEO it has a better design then MRC.

rock455
11/13/2004, 12:37 PM
RGibson ... all you have to do is get one of the larger CR. I got the CCR-645 with the spray bar and it had a Iwaki 20 on it ... works perfectly --- only took a couple of adjustments. I also just ordered a MR-4 with the PanWorld 250. gonna be awesome!

RGibson
11/13/2004, 12:43 PM
Premium Aquatics has the Geo 612 calc reactor.The design helps to keep the ph up at night and you do not need a add on effluent chamber to make work right.

rock455
11/13/2004, 01:02 PM
You can accomplish the same thing with a quality controller ... I don't have any PH issues BTY --- effluent out of the second chamber is steady at 7.16 and tank PH is steady at 8.24.

HalMurray
11/13/2004, 01:24 PM
Not to muddy the water but if you like euro-reef and want to save some money - go with ASM. Same design, same pump, cheaper grade of acrlyic. I have an ASM and the thing works great.

Shooter9er
11/13/2004, 09:00 PM
so should I stay away from the Myreef reactor and go with a Geo then?

rock455
11/13/2004, 09:22 PM
I don't agree with that assessment ... I spent quite a bit of time researching the different reactors including the Geo, Koralin, Precision Marine and the Knop --- I decided on the MRC reactor because of the quality of the reactor. Also I was able to completely customize the part that I wanted --- larger Co2 tank and Reef Fanatic PH controller --- also the spray bar design of the MRC was very unique and works great!

Check out this package deal
http://www.myreefcreations.com/capackage2.htm
for the CR-4 ...

skylsdale
11/13/2004, 09:51 PM
I went with a CR-1 package 4 as well.

RGibson
11/14/2004, 06:24 AM
Geo 612 calcium reactor has the top recirculation design that prevents pooling of the CO2 this is way the ph will stay up at night and no ph controller needed.MRC calcium reactors are not design this way.

Rendos
11/14/2004, 08:57 AM
My vote is for Euro-Reef skimmer...due to lower noise and more energy efficient pump. I also think the GEO skimmer would be a good choice. It is almost identical to ER. Also his design of calcium reactor is great. I have been running a MRC reactor and recently upsized my tank...so I upsized my reactor too...I went with a GEO 624 reactor. This thing is a monster...and is by far the easiest reactor I have ever setup.

rock455
11/14/2004, 09:45 AM
Last thing I will post on this --- the Reactor that I have does not pool CO2 --- again the PH stays steady and the reactor is easily setup. Perhaps your experience with the reactor is unique --- If you take your time and setup the reactor properly you will not have any problems --- just like anything that you get you must setup everything properly for it to work as designed. I found the setup process extremely easy --- oh and BTW the controller is for safety in the event something goes wrong your tank won't be destroyed. Running a reactor without a contoller is like lighting a fuse to a bomb --- sooner or later it will explode --- just imagine that you have some sort of failure and CO2 dumps into the reactor creating an extremely low PH --- this not only will mush your media but it can also drop your tank PH drastically.

Good luck with it all ..

philipm
11/14/2004, 10:42 AM
Not to muddy the water but if you like euro-reef and want to save some money - go with ASM. Same design, same pump, cheaper grade of acrlyic. I have an ASM and the thing works great.

I agree with this guy. I am in the planning stage of a new setup and I am trying to make the exact same decision as are you. I currently use a cheaper Euro-style skimmer and like the ease of maintenance. What gives me pause about MRC is that it is a PITA to clean. The Euro-style skimmers are rediculously easy to clean. I, like you, am unwilling to spend nearly a grand on a skimmer. After some research I discovered that ASM makes a nearly identical product to EuroReef for significantly less money. When compairing you have to take into account that the pump is included for a Euro and not for the MRC.

moonpod
11/14/2004, 11:01 AM
MRC and ER are two entirely different styles of skimmers with really very different philosophies. The beckett is based on high flow through and lots of air input. The ER is more of a dwell time and "effeciency" model. They both "work", they both of pros and cons. This gets beaten to death in on RC and they both have their avid fans who swear up and down that the other product stinks. The reality is they are both very good skimmers. What's best for you will depend on specifics of your setup and needs.

MRC pros: customizable, becketts create foam like no other system I've seen, run 'em in or out of sump, good price, easy to replace parts (if you break something).
cons: IME you need a real pressure rated pump to really drive the beckett valve and in general those pumps are energy hogs and relatively noisy. You have to clean the beckett valve regularly to get the performance--you'll be surprised as to what will find it's way into the beckett valve. Generally work best in setups where the skimmer outflow runs "downhill", which may or may not be good for your particular setup. The new quick disconnect necks on Andy's skimmers make cleaning the cup, neck and body very easy--essentially the same thing as the needlwheel designs.

ER pros: energy effecient, very quite, drop 'em in and turn 'em on
cons: JMO, doesn't create a foam head like you'll get in a well tuned beckett, you pay a premium for external models, parts are pricey. Frankly, for the price while the unit is "well made", you can find better workmanship (think GEO).

ASM makes a cheaper version that is made out of PVC or something. They in general come slightly smaller diameters and are grossly overrated. THEORETICALLY the surface of the material ASM uses isn't as good for skimming as it's too rough. Also, I don't like the new pump/skimmer connection that ASM's using. On the other hand, the "union" between the cup and the skimmer is a design that's better than ERs old style (new style is similar). Also ASMs don't come in external/recirculating versions which in general provide better performance.

joefish
11/14/2004, 11:12 AM
Well said MoonPod !!!!

:thumbsup:

RGibson
11/14/2004, 11:29 AM
Moonpod one of the things that Shooter9er needs to thing about is having a external skimmer than having it the sump.My own skimmer i have ran external for some time and it makes it so much better to service.

moonpod
11/14/2004, 03:26 PM
I always run my skimmer external.

Shooter9er
11/14/2004, 04:31 PM
I did consider running the skimmer external but I do like the extra safety feature of having it in sump. Its just one more item that could possibly leak or have a malfunction. Noise is another big pet peeve of mine, so that does tilt me towards a geo. Thanks for all of the information everyone.