PDA

View Full Version : Water Movement

hopson2462
11/12/2004, 10:13 AM
Question about water movement. I have my powerheads and returns slighty tilted upwards to agitate the surface of the water. But since I'm running a sump, does the surface really need to be agitated that much? I guess my ultimate question is it better to have an agitated surface that cuts down on the amount of light pentrating the tank, or should I point the powerheads/returns down more to possibly blow more at the rocks, and assume that the flow through the sump/fuge are oxygenating the water enough?

Cearbhaill
11/12/2004, 10:48 AM
I keep my surface agitated even though my drain line falls through air for a couple of inches, but I have chronic low pH and need to do this.
I don't have them all pointing up, though- just one is enough.

I don't have it moving so much that it inhibits light- not sure what you mean by that? As long as no film is developing and the overflow keeps pulling it in you should be good.

Holyreefer
11/12/2004, 11:30 AM
Good water movement at the top of the tank water is always good to keep that film away from being created at the tope surface

Kaiser Tang
11/12/2004, 11:40 AM
I have three MJs creating flow down. I use the return from my sump to agitate the surface. As Cearbhaill said, just enough to keep the scum off the surface.