PDA

View Full Version : salt mixture-- how well mixed?

zily
11/11/2004, 09:25 PM
Hey,

I figured i'll post here for a good chemical analysis question.

How likely is the salt at the top of the bucket going to be different than the bottom of the salt bucket?

I know if agitated, heterogeneous mixtures will tend to seperate, and the best way to "mix" it (short of coning or a riffle splitter) is to roll it.

Is this necessary with the salt? Or is it pretty well mixed to not make a difference in 200ga buckets.

I'm asking mainly for Oceanic salt.

Thanks,
-daniel

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/12/2004, 11:44 AM
Salt water will not tend to separate into differences between the top and the bottom aside from particles that actually settle out.. :)

Bugger
11/12/2004, 08:19 PM
What about mixing. I've heard a minium of 6 hours aireation is required or using a blender for 3 to 5 minutes.
Randy what about if I put the salt water mix in a 2 L bottle how long should I keep shaking the bottle.?

What's happening in there (ionic break down) why does it have to be so well mixed?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/12/2004, 09:39 PM
I use a powerhead for a few hours to overnight, then leave it still until I need it, which may be days or weeks.

Some salts are slow to dissolve, and others that you may want to preciptiate may be slow to do so. Some also start at a veryhigh pH that needs some aeration to bring down. Many mixes may be fine right after mixing, but I stir longer anyway.