PDA

View Full Version : Calling all exotic Cat Owners...

aberg12012
11/11/2004, 09:06 PM
Anyone have any experience with small exotic cats, like Caracals, or Canadian Lynx, or other breeds? My life long dream has been to get my own place, and be able to keep something other than your average house cat. (Which, to me, includes the latest serval hybrids as well.) I've been told if you hand raise a male Caracal, get him fixed as soon as they descend they can make wonderful house pets. But, like many cats, I'm assuming they get more agressive with age?

Well, at any rate, I'm closing on a house tomorow (yay!!!) and found out my friend who owns a zoo, has a pregnant Caracal, and has offered me a baby when they come. Only problem, is I doubt my beloved domestic cat would last very long with an adult Caracal around!

If anyone has direct experience with the smaller wild breeds of cats, I'd like your advice... even if it's to talk me out of it. I'm all ears!

Alan

keckles
11/11/2004, 10:05 PM
Did you just use 'exotic' and 'Canada' in the same sentence?

xxaquanutxx
11/11/2004, 10:07 PM
If anything i am guessing u can keep them seperated?

aberg12012
11/11/2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by keckles
Did you just use 'exotic' and 'Canada' in the same sentence?

:lol: yes I did, but I think you get what I really meant. It's exotic being that they are non-native to my area.

I wouldn't consider a bobcat, being that it's native to my state, and then I would need permits.

liquidfluidity
11/11/2004, 11:42 PM
I have also been doing a lot of researching for info on keeping bigger cats. I have found that most of them actually do quite well with other house pets such as dogs and other cats. The best thing is to have the domestic animals first and raise the exotic with them. This socialization is to happen at an early age and in the end they will all get along. The "get wild with age" is not necessarily true. They have natural instincts just like any other animals but these can be tamed down according to how you rear the cat.
From what I have read , the best time to acquire the cat is at a very early age - something like 2-3 weeks. The idea of such an early seperation from it's mother , is that the animal will build a very strong bond with it's owner. Take heed though , a cat this young will have quite a few needs and requirements. It will need to be bottle fed quite a few times during the day and you will have to swab it's rear to stimulate a bowel movement. Evidently the mother does this also. These are only 2 things but they are pretty major. These are a couple of items that have kept me from getting one yet since I don't have the time to invest right now. I am still planning on it , though.
Caracals are some of the coolest cats. If you get one , I would be interested in your personal experience with the cat. There is quite a bit of info on keeping exotic cats. You just have to weed through the garbage sites. Hope this helps a little. As I said , I have done a lot of investigating - 3+ years worth. Good luck!:cool:

edgerat
11/12/2004, 01:00 AM
you can get an ocicat which has the same sort of coloring as the "exotic" wild kitties that could hurt you in a big way if they wanted to..... We have an ocicat and he is just like a dog... :)

oreocookie713
11/12/2004, 09:24 AM
what's the difference between bengal and ocicat, caracal, lynx as far as personalities. I heard bengal are sometimes smarter than dogs, they like water, and very sociable unlike your normal cats that can be independent and oblivious to its owners

liquidfluidity
11/12/2004, 08:11 PM
Me and my ex used to have one. Way more intelligent than a normal house cat! He would even play "fetch" and if you left the bathroom door open when you showered , he would jump in with you!. They just have a look of intelligence and have characteristics quite different than a common house cat. There are many different color varieties. Ours was a dark brown/ black with gold/bronze rosettes(circular color patterns in the fur). We were looking at "Snow Bengals" which are white with really light gray markings and some have blue eyes , but we split up before that happened. He was about 15# the last time I saw him which was about 3 years ago and he was only 2years old. Extremely soft fur. Softer than any house cats , almost mink like. He also was a F2 which means he was 2nd generation from the original 2 breeders. The origin of a bengal is an Asian Leaopard and a common cat. He didn't like to be held a whole lot but could play for hours. He was around $800 and was "show quality" but you can get "pet quality" for quite a bit cheaper. Great cats. I would highly recommend them. Just make sure you check credentials , business history , and I would even talk to some of the previous customers to see how there's is doing and if they were satisfied. :cool:

benonmsn
11/12/2004, 08:21 PM
my ex was named cathrine (cat) and she was asian (exotic) does that count?

xxaquanutxx
11/13/2004, 05:48 PM
Do bengals shed or leave lots of hair on furniture or rugs?

liquidfluidity
11/13/2004, 08:29 PM
They don't shed very much at all. Nothing near the amount of a regular cat.

xxaquanutxx
11/15/2004, 03:44 PM
WHEWWW***SIGH OF RELIEFE.

I ALWAYS HATED FALLING ASLEEP ON THE COACH AND WAKING UP WITH A MOUTH FULL OF HAIR.

(SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, BUT I AM AT WORK AND THECAPS BUTTON IS STUCK ON THE KEYBOARD)