PDA

View Full Version : fish list for a 90g reef

slave-of-rock
11/06/2004, 07:07 PM
i have a 90g tank i jsut started up, i wanna plan in advanced what kind of fish i want to keep, its 48 long, 36 high, 24 deep, and its a wave front. i plan on keeping mainly LPS, with a select few leathers, and some zoas to cover the back wall, and shrooms to fill in the emptyness after its set up, any ideas? id like to keep at least some kind of tang, but not shure of which one, thanks
kyle kaz

KJMiller
11/07/2004, 01:26 AM
Kyle you should get one of those dimong gobys that are at exotic they are really nice just make shure that you have a tight canopy. You need a tang, I would reccomend a blue with a cleaner shrimp. Maybe a fairy wrass if you can afford one. Also a flame angle would be cool. come by one tuesdays Ill give you a deal.

slave-of-rock
11/07/2004, 01:49 AM
u work this tue? ill come in, im goin in 2marrow for shure 2

slave-of-rock
11/07/2004, 01:49 AM
and no lid on my tank, i dont want it

slave-of-rock
11/07/2004, 02:02 AM
i can get the $ for a fairy, christmas soon, and do you know if jeph would give me credit for my lunare wrasse? hes 6" super healthy, had him over a year, just to dam aggrisive for his tank mates, or some kind of trade id be interested in for it, and i can prolly get that grouper on tue dependin what time u get there at? pm, and sry for the delay alot of stuffs been goin on in the past week that has kept me from other things in my life

KJMiller
11/07/2004, 02:14 AM
I dont think he will take the wrass those things dont sell good. I allready sold the grouper to sea escapes I needed to get it out of my tank I am getting a nice blue face it is pimp. Have you seen the new reef side jeff got 10 halides for the top 5 tanks that were fresh water b 4. I dont work tomarrow but I work tuesday.

slave-of-rock
11/07/2004, 01:59 PM
yea i saw them, very nice, he got them filled yet? ill be goin in there in a hour or so so ill check it out

KJMiller
11/07/2004, 11:26 PM
Yea did youe see the blue face angle that they had there I got one today it is so shy though I dont know if I like that.
what did you get today???

slave-of-rock
11/07/2004, 11:38 PM
i got the silverish palys in the back right bottom tank, it was in the far back, largest piece of palys he had there, also a feather duster and 10gs of water. $30 for that rock of palys was a steal. what price did you get the blue face for? i saw it and its a beautiful fish.

KJMiller
11/07/2004, 11:58 PM
I paid 100 cash and then I wrote on my clock out sheet what I got so I will se what he charges me for. I thikn that i WILL NEVER GET A CHECK FROM HIM I am gonna spend all of it there. I thiknk he is gonna charge me about 135 total for it. Thats not bad because the one that he had for sale in the front tanks was 180

slave-of-rock
11/08/2004, 12:19 AM
yea i saw the 180 price, good deal lol, i bet you wont get a check :D, you will owe him more then you will get

KJMiller
11/08/2004, 04:29 PM
yea probbaly but it is better than jewl what would I get for jewl grocries what a joke

slave-of-rock
11/08/2004, 04:41 PM
yes it was, thats y i told my boss to profanity removed , now i start at sears 2marrow :D

BrianD
11/08/2004, 05:33 PM
Slave, profanity censor is there for a reason. Don't try to get around it.

As for the fish recommendation, I don't think you want to add a tang to a 90 gallon tank, especially a blue tang (I assume a hepatus was the "blue tang" referred to).

Gobies, fridmani, anthias, wrasses are all possibilities (maybe a dwarf angel), although without a top the wrasses would probably carpet surf.

slave-of-rock
11/08/2004, 06:06 PM
im going to be putting egg crate on top of the tank for that reason probably, and i already have a kole tang in my 75, hes only 3" now and after i got my rock and the tank cycles (the 90 that is) i will be placing him there, also id like a flame hawkfish, i have one in my 75 now also and i love him. maby a small school of chromis? (3-4?) im not shure what fridmani are, do you have a picture of them? tanks, sry for the profanity thing, wont happen again
kyle kaz

BrianD
11/08/2004, 09:15 PM
No problem, Kyle. We have to be conscious of the youngsters that hang around ;)

The fridmani is commonly known as the orchid dottyback.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/fish/orchid.jpg

They are docile as far as dottybacks go, and you can keep more than one in a tank. They are available tank raised, so they are a hardy fish.

Brian

KJMiller
11/08/2004, 09:19 PM
what are you going to do at sears sell shoues or somehting? Are you gonna put all little fish in your 90 or are you gonna have some big ones. My blue face angle finally came out of the rocks in my 90. That fish is amazzing.

slave-of-rock
11/08/2004, 09:41 PM
idk about fish yet, i bought that huge sargent major damsel from jeph for $5 but idk if i want him anymore . what large fish would you suggest? im going to be making a DIY skimmer, maby 2 so i will skim the tank well if i have a high bio-load. id like 2 check out your tank some time, at sears im going to be switching out the sale signs and stocking, 7.10 an hour + 10% off everything %20 off clothes, good job

KJMiller
11/08/2004, 10:59 PM
If you are making a skimmer dont try it is too hard I made one and it was a disaster. Everything leaked and it dident skim good. But if you are going to attempt one I have some 6 inch diameter tubing in my garage that would be good for a skimmer. I am making my 90 a sps reef. That is the only way that I am gonna be able to keep my blue face angle in there. Jeff got a really nice skimmer that is big and it is only 250 or 300 i think but it is good. You should probbaly wait for any big fish in your reef wait till you have a cleaner shrimp or two even if your water is perfect a tang or angle will get ick. I am thinking of an achilies for my 90 to go with the angle it will be nice. If you are gonna get more than 1 tang get a blue as one of them because they are the nice. If you are gonna go to exot tomarrow I will bring in some pics of my tank.

BrianD
11/08/2004, 11:02 PM
Slave, remember that bioload shouldn't be the major factor in choosing fish. I don't agree that you should get a "large fish". Skimming the heck out of a tank doesn't make it any bigger for the fish that have to swim around in it.

slave-of-rock
11/08/2004, 11:16 PM
yes i know, i just ment larger, not like a giant angel or somethin, i was thinkin more of the lines of like a rabbit fish, and with a high bio-load i ment alot of fish for a reef tank, not alot of big fish, i know what my tank can hold, at least i think. idk if ill be comin in tomarrow, what time do you work till? i got work at 3:30 till who knows when and then me and my friend jeph might go in, he knows jeff 2 somehow some way.

slave-of-rock
11/08/2004, 11:17 PM
what kind of lighting do you have on your tank KJ

KJMiller
11/08/2004, 11:34 PM
we close at 9 so i am there till 9 or 930 the lighting for my 90 isent much right now but I am getting 2 400 watters halides for my 125 and then I will put the 2 175s that are on there on my 90 so it will be good for acros and stuff. I think I am getting halides for christmas so that will be cool. I am gonna need to get some bigger pumps too so I dont know what I am gonna do for that. I really want to re build my sump too but that can wait. I ahve a crazzy set up. My water comming back from the 90 goes straigt to the sump. The water from the 125 splits so 1/2 goes to the sump and 1/2 goes to the refugium. The refugium Is a seperate tub that Is about 15 gallons and that drains back to the sump and then my skimmer pump is in the sump and it pumps out of the sump to another container and then that water drains to the sump. and then the water goes back to the tanks with 2 pumps a rio 26hf which goes threw the UV light then to the tank and the 90 has a quiet one something. It all works and I dont have any leaks or overflows so I think it is good.

slave-of-rock
11/09/2004, 10:41 AM
you completely lost me but ill be in there 2night with my friend, w/e i get off work ill be there, what time do you start at so i dont go to early?>

KJMiller
11/09/2004, 04:23 PM

KJMiller
11/10/2004, 12:07 AM
I work onw wendsday too 4-9 I really like the new corals that we got they are really nice. But there are also allot really pricy fish we have a little tang that is 150 or 170 it is crazzy lookin though.

slave-of-rock
11/10/2004, 11:22 AM
i didnt come in yesterday was at work late, ill try and get in today, no clue if i will or not tho, jus go wit the flo

KJMiller
11/10/2004, 11:03 PM
Yea I jknow what you are saying did you get your rock yet?

slave-of-rock
11/10/2004, 11:08 PM
i actually canceled that guy, he never got back to me... but im gettin 55lbs of rock from oceanproaquatics.com on tue, really really nice rock, ill put a pic up of 53 lbs in a few mins, im gettin it for 124 shipped to my door, really porus to. sry i didnt come in again, i was jammin with my friends and was learnin how to meditate lol, fun and interesting

slave-of-rock
11/10/2004, 11:14 PM
ok heres a link to what some1 else got, 53lbs here
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/cj104882/DSCF0063.jpg

KJMiller
11/11/2004, 12:08 AM
nice

slave-of-rock
11/11/2004, 01:23 AM
u work 2marrow? i can prolly come in wit some1 as theres no skool. i get off work early, and we will be goin to some parties right by exodic so i can jus drop by

KJMiller
11/11/2004, 01:16 PM
no I work on saturday all day

slave-of-rock
11/11/2004, 03:52 PM
ok, idk if ill be in, my skimmer and my filter both started leaking over night and i lost 2" of water in my 75g... the floor is soaked thru to the crawl space. I siliconed the filter and the skimmer and i just gotta play it thru and wait, if anything ill be in sat to buy water to do some waterchanges

KJMiller
11/11/2004, 05:50 PM
what did you build the simmer and the filter with????

slave-of-rock
11/11/2004, 06:38 PM
i didnt thats the thing... the lock from the skimmer to the hose was loose for some reason and it leaked over night. i siliconed both of them so now they arent leaking and i got my tank back up and running. no casulties :D

KJMiller
11/11/2004, 10:32 PM
nice I built a skimmer once dumbest thing I ever did it was built out or 6 inch thick pve. All of the seals leaked and it dident skim good.

slave-of-rock
11/11/2004, 11:33 PM
no good, i got my tank worked out now thank god... now i gotta get some sleep, if u didnt hear were playin CG (cary grove) tomarrow and this is gonna decided if we go on or not in the playoffs, and its gonna be a close game. gonna be partes 2marrow night even if we lose, but if we win, i might not recoperate to be in on sat lol

KJMiller
11/12/2004, 12:27 AM
lol look out for the cops they will be out.

KJMiller
11/13/2004, 12:24 AM
my blue face is now eating pelets but it has some battle scars from all the moving I hope they heal up.

slave-of-rock
11/13/2004, 01:07 AM
good and bad at the same time. i called it an early night, we lost out game :(, 36-0... got pawned. ill be in tomarrow, i need to get some water, so just look for real tall guy with shaggy hair and a tie-dye shirt

KJMiller
11/13/2004, 01:30 AM
ok I will be there too.