PDA

View Full Version : How to; Start a Reef Club?

Mike_McBrien
11/04/2004, 09:51 PM
Our Area here in NW Ohio has alot of reefers and I am fonding more every week. The biggest problems is we dont have a local reef club... Solution.... Start one.

That comes to my question. Does anyone have any experince in starting one and what kind of expectations should club have for its members and its members for the club. What kind of advertising and events does a local club do on a regular basis? How often should a club meet? etc...

Any info help or ideas would be appreciated.

Mike

LobsterOfJustice
11/04/2004, 10:38 PM
My local club has a website with a message board. It costs money to join, but these costs are quickly balanced out by discounts at local stores if you are in the club. We meet once a month at the aquarium and a few other places, and have gues speakers etc. We also have summer tank tours of other members tanks and a fragfest once or twice a year. Some of the meetings are even held at a LFS. I suggest talking to a LFS and seeing if they have a post board where you can put up a notice... not sure where to go from there...

Adonis Mt
11/04/2004, 10:40 PM
Just copy what other clubs too. LOJ has the right idea. Tank tours, water tests, speakers if possible, store discounts, and so on.

fishdoc11
11/04/2004, 10:49 PM
I think a good first step is to open a club forum here on RC. I know our club forum is the first place I check when I log on. It will help a great deal with planning and just communication in general. Going from there is up to yall. Most clubs loosely model theirs on others and make changes where they see fit. Kind of like reef tanks:-)
good luck, Chris

Dubbin1
11/04/2004, 10:55 PM
How do you go about gettinga club forum here on RC?

mark42
11/04/2004, 10:56 PM
I am in northeast ohio youngstown area wish we had one here ,anyone else from the y town area on here?

Dubbin1
11/04/2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by mark42
I am in northeast ohio youngstown area wish we had one here ,anyone else from the y town area on here?

Is Cleveland close enough to you?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=166

fishdoc11
11/04/2004, 11:09 PM
I would send John(the webmaster) a message and let him know you would like to.
Chris

Mike_McBrien
11/05/2004, 12:05 PM
Great thanks for the info Fishdoc. We were planning on setting up a forum here on RC to spark some intrest and get people centrally located.

We have also planned on setting up a website and are planning where meetings will be taking place. I have already discussed the Fish Club with our one and only LFS and theyt seemed pretty enthusastic and helful about it. Although I did not ask about getting any discounts at the store for being a club member. Since the LFS is more of a chain, I am not sure how keen they would be on it.

As far as websites go, is there any club sites that are " above the norm"? Sites that have been done really well or stand out from other club sites. If anyone is part of one or has seen some please give a reply.

MiddletonMark
11/05/2004, 12:15 PM
I'd do a couple things:

Start a forum here, maybe an `info page' somewhere else just so folks can see when/where on the next meeting.
We have an email mailing list too for the same info.

I'm a member of two clubs - our state club, and a newer local club. Very difrferent - state club has dues, raffles, speakers, ID cards, and discounts. It's a great thing, but IMO needs a good # of people to bring in speakers, etc ... so I pay my dues to my state club + value it greatly.

But my local club ... we're more social/informal ... no dues, no raffle, no discount - but just getting together, checking out tanks, sharing frags, presenting what we each understand well. Far more informal ... but also very valuable as these folks you can call in an emergency and they can help `right now'.

I love both - and am very glad our local club isn't trying to be the same as the state group - it would likely just annoy some people who've belonged there for a while and tries to split the pie into too small of pieces IMO. Figure out where you're at along this continuum ... and be happy there.

Fishdoc, as usual, spoke well. Great reef clubs are wonderful - and having an under 30 minute drive to monthly meetings is great - to learn from everyone in the club :) The state club maybe I'm more 50% attendance ... as a couple hours each way once a month might not be possible [meetings all over the state] ... but easily done for speakers.

Good luck, make it informal, keep it loose [and have someone to plan two meetings in advance, get volunteers to host, and keep the emailing list together] .... in my experience without someone doing such follow-up every few months as needed it's easy for informal clubs to dry up. Though summer for many clubs have a few months off - at least for mine. Too many competing things in summer - best just to skip two meetings and relax.

Good luck :)

Reefguide
11/05/2004, 12:31 PM
We are starting one for the Miami, Florida area. check us out at

jenghes
11/05/2004, 12:57 PM
Mike,

I don't know how to start one, but I'd love to join! Please keep me in mind!

Jen
Sylvania

jenghes
11/05/2004, 01:00 PM
I just finished reading all of your posts, Mike. What LFS chain are you speaking of? There are several in Toledo.

Jen

Ereefic
11/05/2004, 01:19 PM
I'd like to add one additional thing to Middletonmarks comments above. And that would be post a flyer in your LFS's if your able too. That is how our local club got started. It was basically a meeting one night to guage interest in starting a local group. I think there were about 10 people or so that showed up and we went from there. Now we are 30 or so members.

fishdoc11
11/05/2004, 01:25 PM
Mike_McBrien,
Great! Hope things work out weel for everyone. I know I can loose myself talking about reefing for hours at meetings. It's a great way to learn, to make friends and to just have someone listen to you about reef tanks that understands what your talking about. MiddletonMark, as usual, makes a good point about local and state clubs. I know some people were put out when we moved the meetings to peoples houses and made them a little more formal so 2 clubs would be a great idea if it's doable:-)
Chris

Mike_McBrien
11/05/2004, 06:34 PM
That local chain, and only local chain to Findlay is Pets Supplies Plus. Their livestoock and equipment leaves alot to be desired, but thats all we have

Mike_McBrien
11/05/2004, 11:35 PM
Reefguide - hanks for the site link. I like the site. I have done alot with postnuke so am very familar with PHP Nuke. Looks like you guys have alot of information in there.

tjghes - I will definatly keep you in mind when getting the club going, I would gladly appreciate getting a few more RC regulars interested in it. Although getting folks from you area maybe more difficult since its about a 45 min drive to the findlay area from the toledo metro area.

MiddletonMark and Fish doc - thanks so much for the the thoughts and ideas. It is greatly appreciated. I was planning on this club being the more informal type with the possibilty of getting a speaker once a year or joing another club and sharing a speaker once or twice a year.

More than anything we will be focusing on just getting reefers together to talk about and aid the other locals in reefkeeping.

Again if other have some good club sites they would like to show off, please post a few of them. I will be contacting RC admins tonight about setting up a club forum and its details.

Thanks again all

Dubbin1
11/06/2004, 01:16 AM
Looks like we are on our way :) Mike, let me know what they had to say out a PSP.

joshso
11/06/2004, 08:45 PM
I agree with you Mike, we need one here in Toledo. Why don't you, Jen, and I talk about some ideas on setting one up. There aren't that many LFS here that specalize in SW. I happen to run the restaurant the one of the owners dines regularly at, I look at getting discounts for the club. I also think that we should set one up here on RC.

Josh

joshso
11/06/2004, 08:46 PM
Sorry about the typos in the post. I am in a hurry.

Mike_McBrien
11/06/2004, 10:03 PM
Well currently I and a few other people that live in Findlay (and sorrounding areas) were discussing starting one in the Findlay area, Although toledo is not to far away. I am sure there are alot of reefers in the metro toledo area and the relitivly short drive either direction wouldn't be to bad.

Perhaps (depending on the turnout from both areas) We could work something out where we meet once a month but alternating between the findlay area and the toldeo area for the meet. That way those die hards that have the time can make every meeting if they choose, and the rest could make just the more local ones to them every other month.

Again I am just shooting out ideas. I am currently compiling a list of all the people who have shown an intrest in a NW Ohio club. and will be catching up with everyone soon.

Mike

jenghes
11/06/2004, 11:56 PM
I would not mind driving to Findlay every now and again. It is not that far. Dubbin1 and Toledofishguy may also be interested. They are both from Toledo too.

Joshso - what restaraunt do you own? We frequent many :) The Grape Leaf has a couple of tanks and they are somehow connected to Tropical Reef on McCord. That does not happen to be it?

Jen

Dubbin1
11/07/2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by tjghes
Dubbin1 and Toledofishguy may also be interested. They are both from Toledo too.

Nah I'm right here in Findlay too :) We've been talking about this for about a week now. Thats great that you would be willing to come this far for a meeting. I'm sure if we do things right then we can get more people from the area showing up. Heck we have BG and Toledo north of us, Lima south of us and I'm sure there are many reefers in between. A quick trip up or down 75 and your here.

Mike_McBrien
11/07/2004, 01:12 AM
Yeah Thanks for your intrest guys, as dubbin replied he is in findlay and actually we only live just a few blocks apart. I have not tried to get a hold of toledofishguy, but I have seen he has expressed intrest in a local club also.

PLease feel free to get ready to tell others about the startup. Soon there will be a new RC club forum titled NORA (Northwest Ohio Reef Association) Be on the lookout for it. Once that forums has begun we (meaning anyone interested in NORA) well use the forum to start discussing what the club should be like and ideas on running it.

I do not have a desire to have any type of elected positions, I am just a guy to help get the ball rolling.

ojreef
11/07/2004, 01:13 AM
Hi Mike,

As you can see by my signature, I am a charter member of the Rocky Mountain Reef Club.

The club is a few years old now and usually averages 40 people at each meeting.

We are VERY informal, just show up and your a member. We have monthly meetings usually on the first Sunday of the month. The meetings rotate from house to house. We just ask who wants to host a meetiing and someone will vol. (usually).

Now, how did it get started? Well, one day there appeared a post on Reef Central that just said something like: Denver area reef club starting. Steve Cohen our founder asked if anyone was interested in starting a club.

Of course, many people said yes and Steve set a date and time for the first meeting. About 10 people showed up and after the meeting a thread was started about the meeting and what we learned about. If my memory serves me right, Steve showed us how to set up an emergency power system using car batteries. We got several responces asking about our club and how to join.

We started out very informal and have remained so. No dues, membership requirements or restrictions, etc. We have two Frag swaps a year and there is always frag trading at every meeting.

Don't sweat al the parlimentry rules etc. You will probably want to elect some club officers just to have a central point for decision making, If you keep it simple and don't get hung up on rules, requirements, fees etc. you will have almost instant succes. One of the officers should be the" webmaster" I'll bet if you start out a club, someone will be very computer literate and will figure out how to set up a web site.

I know we have a great one, his name is John Michels. You or your clubs computer GURU can contact him at www.rockymountainreefclub.com. Please note, I didn't contact him about this but, all of our reefers will go out of their way to help a fellow reefer.

IMHO if you post a thread about reef club starting, you will have a club in no time.

Super good luck to you,

joshso
11/07/2004, 01:41 AM
I run Red Lobster.

Mike_McBrien
11/07/2004, 01:45 AM
ojreef - Thats awesome. Thanks alot for the positive support and making me feel lik eit should be super easy to get one started. I have been thinking about starting a club for years now, but until last week never really talked about it to anyone. Since I have started just mentioning it people have been jump out of the caves and crevices and are showing themselves.

Luckily for the club (and my own satisfaction) I am a well taught webmaster of my own and will have no problem creating a site of our own, and am looking foward to it. I may give John a shout just to see what he has had troubles with if any and get some general advice.

Again thanks for the positive support, and as you said reefer almost always bend over backwards to help each othe rout, thats why I want to start a club.... the people.

ojreef
11/07/2004, 03:41 AM
IMHO you sound like just the person to pull it off. May I suggest that you start a thread something like FIRST MEETING OF THE -----
REEF CLUB. Pick a date and time like the first Sunday in Dec. at 2:00pm. I think if you start asking what would be a good day/time you'll get a million answers.

Plan on having some topic such as fragging corals, lighting, etc. EMPHASIZE this is for ALL levels from newbie to old time reefers.

Another thing to mention/have is snacks. Dosen't have to be a big thing, chips and soft drinks or, go wild with sandwiches, etc. also, state no charges or dues.

RSVP requested but, not needed. Give directions (MAPQUEST) map is great.

Sart the meeting by giving a SHORT Bio. on yourself then go arond the room so everyone will realize the skill levels.

Plan on giving your thoughts on what the club should be like, tell the people that a discussion will follow the "Topic". jump into nhe topic for a few miinutes (maybe 15 - 20) unless you're swarmed with questions or intense interest. then, ask for thoughts about the way the club should go. Encourage everyone to hang out and share thoughts, questions, items to trade/sell/give away.

Our club meetings usually last about two hours. A few minutes BS'ing between each other, the main topic and then more visiting.

The biggest thing IMHO is to make sure you post on the Reef Central main site as soon as possible that the ----- Reef Club meeting was a big succes. Give a Summary of what took place and be sure to mention skill levels from newbe to old time reefers.

Bet you a damsel that you'll be swamped with question, interest in joining etc.

We had about 10 or less at the first meeting but after the meeting review post, the next meeting was more like 20 and now, 20 is a small meeting.

Mike, I really would like to hear how things are going. Feel free to E-mail me at any time or, check with our club officers for further suggestions. By the way, our officers is kind of a loose title. They don't play the role of "I'M the President, etc. they are more like master of ceramonies and dicision makers. you'll find that there will always be someone that day/time won't work so, pick and schedule. Now, with that said, remember if your choice is inconvenient to most, you might be wise to accomadate.

Lots of luck,

j2
11/08/2004, 10:32 AM
I’d be interested in a group here in Toledo. It would be great to get with fellow reefers to talk shop. Also, I’m always looking for somebody to swap frags with in this area.

-James

ACIDRAIN
11/08/2004, 10:53 AM
Here is one that I am a long time member of. It has been going for many many years now, for more than 30 years. Including the ACA, this club is one of the top 3-4 clubs in the country. It is not just a reef club, or even just a SW club, but an all around every kind of fish club. People come from 3-4 states away for our twice a year auction. We had over 1000 bags of fish, fry, coral, plants, ect in the auction this past week end. It costs nothing to visit the website, or even post. We do require a membership fee to join, and this is required if you are wanting to sell anything in the trading post. But that is only $10 per year. Please, feel free to see how we do things here.

Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society (http://www.gcas.org/)

jenghes
11/08/2004, 12:01 PM
J2.... Welcome to RC!

Maybe we can get one started!

Jen

j2
11/08/2004, 12:45 PM
Hi Jen! Thanks for the warm welcome.

If you're interested, I can email you some photos of corals I have available for trade. But, it may take a few days or weeks - my computer at home is down :(

Do you know of many other hobbyists in the area that would like to start a group? What's the first step to get this thing in motion?

-James

Dubbin1
11/08/2004, 01:10 PM
We now have a club forum here on RC for the NW Ohio area. Feel free to drop in NORA (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=342)

jenghes
11/08/2004, 01:36 PM
James - I do not have much to trade being that I just started adding corals. However, I may give you $$$ for them if you are interested. I'll PM you my e-mail.

Jen

j2
11/08/2004, 03:34 PM
Jen - I'll email you some pics once I have my machine up and running. I don't mind helping you stock your tank... as long as you send some cool stuff my way in the future.

Dwayne - I'll post my info soon. It's great you guys have started something.

James

ojreef
12/04/2004, 11:18 PM
Hi Mike,

Just curious. Did you ever get a club going?

Mike_McBrien
12/05/2004, 12:08 AM
Well we have not had an offical Meeting yet but the first meeting slated for sometime in January. I have had alot of positive feedback and have had alot of good offers for support from the area. Our LFS has graciously offered members 10% off and there is other vendors in the area who sound interested in the same idea.

We have about 15 people that have all been generated from the RC boards and as sson as an official fist meeting time has been decided a bit of advertising will really get the word out quick.

Thanks for checking up, I will keep everyone posted!

ojreef
12/05/2004, 12:23 AM
You da man!. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

fishdoc11
12/05/2004, 09:16 AM
Good deal! Glad to hear things are looking up:-)
Chris