PDA

View Full Version : First Large Tank (140g Oceanic): Help choosing Skimmer / Return Pump:

Mhensley
11/03/2004, 01:14 PM
I've just purchased a 140g Oceanic tank, with stand, cap, sump, lighting, and basically everything besides the skimmer and the return pump, which were both sold before I bought the tank.

I'm planning on setting up a predator tank, with several larger fish (Large Angel, Trigger, Eel, etc) and I'm not sure what equipment I should purchase. I've been told that I need a really good skimmer, because the fish I'd like to have are all very messy eaters, and will have a lot of waste in the water.

Any info you guys can give me would be a great help.

swclown
11/03/2004, 01:38 PM
i bought a 155 galoon last spring and got a euroreef CS8-3+
from someone here. the thing is amazing and pulls too much crap out so that i have to actually shut it down periodically. the only drawback is the size. i had to plum another tank just for it.

tre8160
11/03/2004, 02:25 PM
Hey Welcome to the Reef Central , I would recomend an ASM G2 (http://www.roesmarineworld.com/xasmskimm.htm) for a tank that size. Being that your not gonna have any high powered lighting , for a return pump the velocity (http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/pumps/103153.html) pumps are nice but they add some heat to the water , since there's no MH lighing adding to this it shouldn't be an issue tho. HTH

law086
11/03/2004, 07:49 PM
Hi there. Welcome to RC.

For a skimmer, ASMs are great. I'm running about 200-230 gallons of total water volume and use an ASM G3. I choose the G3 since it has the slightly upgraded pump, a Sedra 5000 vs a Sedra 3500 that the G2 uses. I think you'll find that most have nothing but great things to say about Euro Reef and ASM (same design). If you're looking to spend less money, I've heard good things about the Turbofloter (I'm sure I spelled that wrong).

A return pump depends on a few factors. What will the pump be used for? If it's used for a return, and only a return then just find something to match your drain. If you drain xxx gallons per hour, get a slightly larger pump and be sure to account for pumping head (feet the pump has to move water up). If you plan to use the return for water movement or to feed another tank (such as a refugium), you'll need to consider something larger. Brand often depends on application. Mags tend to work well for in-water applications and when used with a short head. I'm using a Mag 950 for my tank and love it. I'm assuming you'd need something a bit larger.

Best of luck,
Ron