PDA

View Full Version : palolo worm removal...

jaden1
11/02/2004, 06:38 PM
I have just seen the MONSTER from the deep. I believe it to be a palolo sp from pics I have seen. It must be at least 4' long and UGLY. What is the best way to remove this obscenity from my reef? Will a bristle worm trap work? or is it too small?
Thanks in advance.

jaden1
11/02/2004, 08:44 PM
Come on, no one has any info on these things. Look like the nastiest biggest centipede you've ever seen. I think I saw it about a year and a half ago and thought wow thats a large bristle worm. But it was only sticking out of the rock about 10" or so. Tonight was horrified to see that it was sticking out of the rock no less than 2.5'. Have read they will eat corals, though I can't commment on that as any coral I loose usually bleaches or falls over and goes unnoticed for too long. I dont dare goi after it with tweezers. Digi cam is getting repaired will take pic as soon as I see it again, although as I said I last noticed it quite a while ago. And I do spend an innordinate amount of time reef gazing so who knows. Any further info anyone may have would be considered helpful. Any similar species too would be appreciated so that I may identify this creature more carefully.
Thanks.

ReefDiver
11/02/2004, 09:14 PM
If it has not caused any problems to date then why worry about it now? Sounds like a commensal organism to me but I have not seen it. I would suggest getting a picture and posting it on Dr. Rons forum and see what he says. Just hang loose and don't do anything rash. I doubt that it will take over your tank.

jaden1
11/03/2004, 07:51 AM
I am not about to do anything rash. I just don't like it in there. It obviously hasn't done too much in this tank, and it has been there for quite a while. Thanks for replying though reef diver.