PDA

View Full Version : New and need HELP!!

CaptainMark
11/01/2004, 04:58 PM
Hi all, I am about to embark on the wonderful world of salt water and need some help. I have been in the fresh water hobby for years and have been successful, but had to sell my gear when I moved across country. I am now about to buy a totally new setup and have some questions before I drop my first $1,500.

First, I am buying a 75G drilled rectangle tank and my initial budget will only allow 200W of light....is this enough and is it commiserates with the price of $198.

Next, originally I was going with an Ehiem canister filter and have been convinced to upgrade to a protein skimmer....but, this configuration also includes a wet dry for some mechanical filtration but I am unfamiliar with this type of filter and would prefer going with what I know and stick with a canister. Is there a bigger benefit going with a wet dry...and will it give me the biological and mechanical filtration that I am used to in a good canister filter, not to mention a canister filter takes up ALOT less room.

I guess what I am asking is can I use a protein skimmer and a canister filter and would that be a good choice instead of a protein skimmer and wet dry?

Thank you all in advance for your advice and Im sorry about the seemingly ignorant questions.

Mark